Hot water heating - best option

halesworth, Feb 8, 4:00am
Currently using traditonal hot water cylinder for hot water requirements. Considering more cost effective options like, gas water heating, instant hot water heating, heap pump water heating.All a bit confusing to this single woman. only me at home so cost of maintaining 180l water cyclinder is a waste of money and energy. I am on tank water supply. Any recommendations/tips please speak up.thanks

trade4us2, Feb 8, 4:35am
I don't know what's available, but I'd have instant.
Some power companies have a higher charge for all your power if you don't have a hot water cylinder that they can turn off at peak times. So have one but turn it off yourself.

ro42, Feb 8, 4:41am
Instant water heating saves water when you're on tank water too, as you don't waste so much waiting for the warm to come through to the shower. I want to switch, but got quoted $4,500 for it, so it's on hold for the moment.

lilyfield, Feb 8, 4:42am
I have considered exactly the same, being single. But sadly the result was thar any changes to instant hot water, ie just heat what you use , is so expensive that you will never recover the costs in power savings.
I have had quotes for gas flow through heating and also power. Also considered acmuch smaller storage tank, the result was the same. Have been advised to insulate the tank as much as possible instead.
Next option is to use solar water bags outside, rig up a pully if you have a private corner somewhere and use that instead in the summer month.
My hot water is turned off,I shower at the gym and don,t mind boiling the kettle for those few dishes.
So unless you are very young and intend to stay in your place foreever- forget about it.

trade4us2, Feb 8, 4:51am
I maintain a solar water heater for a mountain hut. That works fine except when people steal the copper cylinder.
For camping I used a bottled gas heater for instant water heating. The pump and heater was about $500 which would be cheaper than a normal cylinder.
It was very cheap to run.

monsieurl, Feb 8, 12:26pm
We (family of 3) have ours on Gas our previous house was a reasonably new insulated cylinder, our monthly power bill went from approx $150-160 to $80-110 and each cylinder lasts approx 3 months and costs $100, we worked it out and we were saving approx $500 a year on gas, of course insulation etc can factor in but overall we are happy with not heating up a cupboard and saving that money.

t_naki, Feb 8, 6:47pm
My last house we changed the cylinder for a gas infinity which was awesome but my new place has no gas so I am thinking of a solar system. I have seen Heat Pumps but they are very expensive and the compressor is quite loud so it needs to be put away from sleeping areas The HP still uses power where as the solar seems the best option because it only needs a bit of electric top up in the cold months but otherwise acutally reduces the power so can virtually pay for itself

lythande1, Feb 8, 6:53pm
maintaining it! There is no maintenance.
Sure the element might go, that can happen, hardly a major expense.
The cylinder can die eventually, that can happen whatever method you go with.
180l is overkill for 1 person, 135l would be more than enough.

t_naki, Feb 8, 7:07pm
I think she means the running costs of keeping a big cylinder running when she does not need it. Also it depends on what size house she lives in, a small cylinder in a large family home can effect resale if the people notice things like that.

kernal1, Feb 12, 4:39am
At least get a quote for Solar Heating! Have friends who are delighted, some councils will let you pay off via your rates, and new Council flats are all being built with Solar H/W.In a one person home feel you would not need power on apart from during cold winter. meantime, to lower your power bills turn everything offat the plugs when not in use.TV, Microwave, range, everything! This has reduced my power bill by approx. $20 a month.

kaddiew, Feb 12, 5:04am
My solar hot water (inherited) has been nothing but a pain in the neck with repair bills and faffing about. Even with a large cylinder and hot water to waste in a sunny spell, it only takes 2 cloudy HOT days and the water is lukewarm. I must be unlucky with this set up because no way does it solar heat the water for 10 months of the year as others say theirs does. And for one person, definitely not worth the big $$ outlay vs any electricity savings made.

gabbysnana, Feb 12, 5:11am
she hasnt tols us what her power cost actually is. i have a big hw tank, big heat pump, dryer, dishwasher, ( i dont use my oven thou)energy bulbs, well insulated house and double glazing and my power is between $60 and 100 a month.

sunnysue1, Mar 4, 7:57am
I have gas.my cylinder had to go for a pantry.and love the instant hot water and no waste on heating xtra to sit around! However I also went for a gas fire to make the gas connection from the road worth while. Mid winter gas bill is 60.00.summer around 30. However I do intend to spend many years here so that made the decision to go gas easier.