Solar Water Heating,

wildwest3, Oct 7, 3:51am
Do you have it? Is it cost effective? Just doing some sums, looks like $10,000 to setup, and wondering if it's ever going to pay off!

tintop, Oct 7, 4:16am
lol - 'Put your money into power company shares' was a bit of advice from a energy consultant, Then go to a spot price plan and heat your water after midnight. :)

kaddiew, Oct 7, 4:25am
Well the solar hot water system I inherited when I bought this house 4 years ago has so far cost me almost $2000 in repairs, due to both shoddy installation and a dubious, since-deleted product that no company wants to claim ownership of. That $2000 would've bought a lot of night-heated water in my one person household, and no solar savings for me for several years to come. The system is on its final warning before I rip it out, including the leaking tank, and go back to electric.

In summer there's hot water to spare; the rest of the year it still needs electric boosting to some degree.

omamari, Oct 7, 6:11am
I think there was a thread on here a while ago that suggested it is more efficient and cheaper these days to use solar power panels to supply electricity to heat your water

harrislucinda, Oct 7, 9:12am
yes our solar panels heat the water as payed extra for a switch to be put on the meter box

tintop, Oct 7, 9:32am
There are 12V heating elements avalabel on ebay at least. So a cylinder that has a fitting for a booster element could be used.

kacy5, Oct 7, 9:50am
We installed solar water heating 9 years ago and it has a power booster but is also hooked up to the wet back log fire which has been great. I will definately do it again when I downsize to a smaller house with less people in it but will look into more updated versions. Ours has been trouble free and definately been a big saving. I would hate to see all that sun going to waste as even in the sunny winter we had this year it worked well.

bluefrog2, Oct 7, 10:53pm
I think it depends on how much sun your area gets and how much hot water you use. Have a look at heat pump hot water cylinders and see if you can get a cost-return sheet for that.
I think in NZ, heat-pump HW cylinders are generally more cost effective because we have too many cloudy days. I've heard anecdotally that you're better off putting up electric solar panels, and letting the free electricity heat your hot water, than putting in a completely new solar hot water system.

EDIT: Our solar HW system in Dunedin saves us about $600 per year for a household of 4. It will take more than 10 years to pay back the install cost - which is generally considered not really cost effective. Lifespan of the panels is supposed to be 20 years or so. Keep in mind, Dunedin is supposed to be the cloudiest major city in NZ

bobwyn, Oct 8, 6:15am
we have the tube type 4 sets of 8 tubes, hook up to 420 liter cyd also hooked up to wet back our cyd has 2 element one down low one 2/3rds up we leave the top element on and set at 55 deg and comes on with ripple control if needed just been in and had a look at cyd temp sitting 65 deg and the hottest I have ever seen it is 89deg.

5425, Oct 8, 7:26pm
Our Solar Water heater is at 58 *c at present . From about mid September all works well until about mid April. Then use the wetback .

5425, Sep 7, 7:17pm
Our Solar Water heater is at 58 *c at present . From about mid September all works well until about mid April. Then use the wetback . EBoP.