Hot water cylinder constantly heating?

sarahp24, Dec 8, 8:43am
I've had an electrician in twice to replace teh thermostat on our hot water cylinder, but it seems to work for a month or few before the cylinder starts boiling away constantly again.The water gets so hot it scalds, even when the temp is turned right down.A few days ago it was boiling away so much that it sounded like something was going to burst, so I turned it off, and 3 days later I still have hot water! (Just starting to cool down now, though)

Could there be any other reason for this happening, other than the thermostat!As mentioned, I've already had it replaced - twice!

lythande1, Dec 8, 6:05pm
Not on a wetback is it!

russ18, Dec 8, 6:11pm
4" nail for a fuse and the element's got an earth fault drawing excessive current and causing the thermostat contacts to weld together!

sarahp24, Dec 8, 7:17pm
It was, but the fire's been taken out.

sarahp24, Dec 8, 7:18pm
I'll run that by the sparky when I next see him!Is that common!

russ18, Dec 8, 7:25pm
No, and it's not likely but there really isn't many reasons for this to happen.

skin1235, Dec 8, 8:31pm
6kw heater elementswith 3 kw thermostat! ( welds the contacts) but the sparky should have picked up on that

woodhouse_elect, Dec 8, 8:43pm
Scale in the cylinder insulating the thermostat pocket or incorrect thermostat for cylinder!

aredwood, Dec 9, 9:52am
Check if any part of the element is higher than the thermostat. You will need to take the element out to inspect it. Check if the cylinder is overflowing due to faulty valves ect or a leaking hot water pipe or something that draws a continuous flow of hot water. The incoming cold will keep the thermostat cool therefore causing the water temp to increase beyond the set point.

shane191, Dec 12, 1:45am
Heard of this happening too,