Tile cut around electrical socket

evo4fn, Nov 15, 12:18am
is there a tool or does anyone know where in south auckland you can get someone to cut a tile to fit a electrical socket!

captaingraham, Nov 15, 12:40am
small angle grinder

nitronz, Nov 15, 5:07am
any tile place will usually cut a tile for you, there will be a charge but it isnt too expensive

gj, Nov 15, 5:33am
Dont try this unless you have a couple of spares - vibration will often crack the tile. Best option is to use a wet diamond saw.

les6, Nov 15, 5:40am
have used a dremmel tool and also a fine cutting wheel on a grinder.

gtcrshr, Nov 15, 7:25am
the tool is called a tile cutter . but if its only one or two tilesi would suggest going to a tile centre to get them cut

taipan4, Nov 15, 7:30am
bunnings have the diamond drills with hollow centres, but use heaps of water

kcc55a, Nov 15, 7:39am
As #7 says if you want an easy life and not a whole lot of ruined tiles mark the cut out and take it to a tile centre.

mm12345, Nov 15, 8:24am
You can get a tile cutting saw at bunnings etc.The blade is a tubular silicon carbide coated rod - they are rather fragile and easy to snap - about $10 each, fit in to a hand scroll saw (you can buy a kit with both) There's a small one (6"!) and a 12 inch or 30 cm.Get the larger one - the small blades are a PITA to work with.
You can cut intricate shapes accurately with a little practice, including circles for tap fittings in the middle of a tile if you drill through the tile with a masonry bit, thread the saw blade through the hole, and re-attach it to the saw.Twist while you're cutting and you'll snap the blade, and be back to Bunnings to fork out $10 for a new one.You are limited by the size of the scroll saw frame- for holes cut in the centres of huge tiles - you'll need to get someone to do it for you.
Saw, blade, and a new masonry bit shouldn't cost more than about $25 all up.Easy as once you get the hang of it.Not worth the gas and hassle to go to a tile shop to do it, unless there's heaps to do.

purplegoanna, Nov 15, 8:58pm
ive got a taurus ring saw from america, i can cut any shape including round but not in the middle of a tile.im in manukau city.so if the cut you need is off one of the sides i can cut it but not if you need a hole in the middle of the tile.(if any of that makes sense)

tmenz, Nov 16, 12:44am
I use a TCT (Tungsten Carbide) blade in my jigsaw. Drill a hole with a tile drill first. Both available from M10 or Bunnings.
Put masking tape on the face of the tile first so the jigsaw bed doesn't mark the tile.

jodie-mike, Nov 5, 1:12pm
Take the face plate off the power point so that this
Covers any rough cuts when put back on. Also
Eliminates the need for messy silicon joint round edges.