Help please, with wet area tile-to-wall seal?

bcohen, Mar 30, 12:30am
Could people please advise me! I have had my laundry area tiled recently. It is on a ground floor cement slab. It was grouted using epoxy grout, but the tiler insisted I didn't need a membrane on the cement slab, so there isn't one.

My question is, how do I finish the tiles against the walls, in such a way that water couldn't get in between the tiles and the wall at the perimeter! There is a gap between the tiles and the wall that varies around the room between 2mm and 8mm. I don't want to fill up the whole expansion gap. There is no skirting on yet.

Advice definitely appreciated.

lythande1, Mar 30, 2:53am
The skirting would fill the gap.

bcohen, Mar 30, 7:02am
I'm thinking that won't be enough. After all, skirting is just wood, and any water will go right under it.

doorboy, Mar 30, 6:04pm
Skirting on first and then use a silicone bead around edge. You can get silicone the same colour as the grout you have used.

omamari, Mar 30, 7:02pm
Doorboy is right. Your tiler was correct also, it's a laundry not a wet area.Think of all the thousands of homes in NZ with wooden floor laundries, they aren't going rotten. Wood is only going to rot if it is constantly wet. Don't panic. Cheers

lazeeboy, Mar 31, 2:22am
Not quite.I'm not going to start explaining to you what is wrong with that advice. I have a sneaky suspicion you should know better.

You work in flooring sales, don't you!

ae64, May 4, 2:13pm
a bit late but I'd have asked the tiler to install a tiled skirting - in the same tile if you have a glazed edge (or you can buy aluminium strips to hide the unglazed edge) or a complimentary colour