Front loading washing machine seal needs replacing

kuaka, Jan 1, 12:49pm
The seal on my front loading washing machine is disintegrating, and I'm just wondering if it is possible to get a replacement seal and fit it or have it fitted by a washing machine repair person. It's a Bosch and is about 7 years old and in perfect working order otherwise.

hazelnut2, Jan 1, 1:23pm
wow, that seal didn't last long! My FL is 18 years old and the seal is still good as new. It will leak on the rare ocassion I haven't made sure the washing is clear from the seal before I close the door. Could it be that this has happened to your machine? Bosch is a really good brand so I sure would expect a seal to last many more years.

You will need a repair person to replace as it probably involves dismantling most of the machine.

kuaka, Jan 1, 1:46pm
Okay, thanks for that. I'll get onto it as soon as the stat holidays are over!

pamow69, Jan 1, 9:16pm
Yes it is a big job. The control panel has to be removed and lifted up out of the way. The front panel of the machine comes off and sometimes the heavy weights bolted to front of drum also have to be removed. This allows access to remove and then fit new seal to plastic outer drum. Then everything gets put back in place. Usually takes 1 to 1.5 hrs to do. Seal is not cheap either. Depending on the model or brand they cost between $80 to $130 for the seal. There are a few sites around who sell seals a bit cheaper but they are usually not original and may be a cheaper thinner rubber.

kuaka, Jan 2, 9:34am
Okay, thanks for that. Just another flipping expense. I've spent a fortune on plumbers last year, my dishwasher died just before Christmas and now the washing machine. I was hoping 2021 would be better but it's not starting off that way!

exwesty, Jan 2, 9:58am
If the machine is already 7 years old, it will be needing bearings done at some point so you might like to factor that in as well.

Personally i'd be looking at a replacement.

ferrit47, Jan 2, 10:05am
Talk to Bosch & See if they have Replacement Door.

trade4us2, Jan 2, 11:03am
My 30 year old Champion washer/dryer was working fine but was getting a bit rusty. So I decided to buy a Bosch. That had a 5 year guarantee, and became unreliable after 4 years 11 months. I was told that it was too expensive to fix, so I got a Beko that is working well. The Beko motor is guaranteed for 10 years.
The Bosch looked very complicated to fix anyway.
I would expect modern washing machines to be more reliable and with cheaper parts, but no.

megan109, Jan 2, 1:37pm
Get a new washing machine. Will probably work out cheaper on the long run.

skull, Jan 2, 4:22pm
pamow69 knows what he's talking about and his description does not indicate new washing machine time to me.

pamow69, Jan 2, 5:08pm
Definitely not time yet for replacing the machine. 7 years is not too bad for a rubber door seal. Just keep them dry after use and be careful pulling clothes out so as not to damage the rubber. If spin mode is still quiet and not getting loud bearing noise then again not a worry at this stage. You will get a few more years out of it yet.

kuaka, Jan 5, 10:52am
Just looked at new machines, and the cheapest front loader I can find is $900. It's only me using it now, since hubby passed away, and family that stayed for a while have moved on, so I really don't feel like replacing it. The problem was caused because the underwire in one of my bras came partly out and hooked into the seal so my fault really. I should use a lingerie bag and that wouldn't have happened. Thanks for all your input.

lythande1, Jan 5, 11:59am
But they make them to be disposable now.
Mt freezer is 35, my dryer 41.

alleycatz, Jan 5, 12:18pm
do you live in MOTAT.

hazelnut2, Jan 5, 12:37pm
Have you thought of asking your insurance company? It is accidental damage to one of your contents.

Or, there's a water-proof sealing tape advertised on TV as being available at the Red Shed (Warehouse). Perhaps worth a try?

trade4us2, Aug 28, 4:07am
I have never seen a freezer or dryer there. Once there was an icebox, in the electrical section. But there is no electrical section now.