What are the regulations with cutting pohutakawa

Page 2 / 2
texastwo, Mar 11, 10:14pm
Hope they fought this in the DT.

mansonprincess, Mar 11, 11:11pm
wow - so much info, this is why is so confusing and i guess its one rule for one area and another rule for another.I am still going to chop what is over my side without consent at the end of the day. its not a lot but its like your dammed if you do and your dammed if you dont. wish the rules were clearer for everyones sake

tony473, Mar 12, 3:59am
Yes, the more you cut them the faster they seem to grow.

elect70, Mar 12, 4:26am
+1the pollen gets in toeverythingthen thered bits & the leaves . Messy bloody things . Unfortunate forme they aremostly onneibours property & they love them

parsondian, Mar 12, 6:59am
Pohutakawa in Wellington are not protected unless they are listed as a heritage tree. Otherwise people are able to cut them down if they are on private property.

russ18, Mar 12, 7:11am
Have you had a read of council rules! sounds like you a probably ok anyway.
http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/ratesbuildingproperty/ResourceConsents/Types/Pages/Treeconsent.aspx#chop

kuaka, Mar 12, 8:03pm
No, they didn't, they were quite "wealthy" and just paid the fine.They would have had to lock me in jail if it was me.

mansonprincess, Mar 13, 7:03am
yes I have but i still dont find them very clear but yeah i am still going to go ahead

tigra, Mar 14, 8:08am
Totally wrong.

fxx99, Mar 14, 8:31am
I had a huge one on my garden. I cut it all down. Wasn't protected here in Welly, was told it was a pest.

jenny188, Mar 14, 10:22am
Ring your local council and check with them. Pohutakawas are a native and a lot of areas have them listed as protected. They may be trimmed but not killed off or removed. In most incidences any tree overhanging your property may be cut back to the boundary. Surprising how many people in your thread bitched about them being evergreen and dropping their leaves. 20 yrs ago mine destroyed my tile line for the septic tank. Expect that this being a very dry season , that many people will have trouble with trees seeking water

redhead96, Mar 15, 12:16am
Wish people would think and research before they plant these trees.
And if there trees do get in to our pipes they will have to pay.

jills3, Mar 15, 6:22am
so very true,just wish 26 years ago I had information about pohutakawas and other natives.Thought all was good planting these natives, oh how I now regret it.If any little natives pop up I dont hesitate cutting them down,but there is still the huge ones that keep growing, searching for water and their dam leaves.

tigra, Mar 15, 7:18am
Of course people plant and move on so probably the new owners dont have a responsibility

artemis, Mar 16, 7:19pm
Your rates dollars at work. Not.

tylersdad, Mar 18, 8:02am
WCC chopped one down outside my house quite quickly. Just moved in, sorted boundries and services. Noted it was right over some services for next door, so called them and advised it was not planted by me so i accept no liablity for the tree roots, on their section, adjacent to water/sewerage services, and i had no objection to them removing it. About 1 month later a knock at the door - they were doing the letter drop notifying neighbours of intent to remove. 30 minutes - yes minutes, a truck rumbles up towing a chipper and Bam the tree is gone ! They even let me keep the wood for the fire.

pauldw, Mar 18, 8:17am
If the stump wasn't killed it will be back.With the root system in place they grow back quite quickly.

tylersdad, Mar 18, 8:32am
WCC put some poison stuff on it. no growth yet. I also took out another tree on their land (ie the berm) that they said was a pest tree. Can't remember its name. Had seed pods with fine white bristles in it that are bad for asthmatics. once i finish the front section i will replant with more suitable specimans.

freestar5, Mar 18, 10:13am
I gave mine a trim-at ground level! I got no sun on my washing line in winter! we lived next to a reserve with about 12 of them and another on my property. It was great in the fire!

resolutionx, Mar 18, 10:56am
If you ae a council person or on the council you can hack it down with no repercussions.

If you are an average Joe to trim back the protected tree you will have to pay a registered arborist to do it. At your cost of course.

Our old house had a Rimu tree planted right next to the power pole on our side of the verge (well before we moved in of course) and we had to get a registered arborist to trim it back every 2 to 4 years.

tigra, Mar 18, 7:50pm
Rimu and Pohutukawas regs are completely different for cutting back.

pauldw, Mar 18, 8:12pm
Wouldn't matter what sort of tree it was if it was beside a power pole. Once it gets within a certain distance of power wires it becomes an electrical safety issue and the arborist has to be approved by the power company.

Often the lines company gives you the option of declaring "no interest" in the tree and they make it disappear.

corogirl, Mar 19, 3:37am
I had one chopped down on my place and about 6 weeks later I was notified by letter from the council that they were going through the motions to have it listed as a 'heritage' tree. Phew, I wrote back and told them it had been chopped down months ago lol. Never heard a thing back! You are allowed to chop down one native tree a year on your section here, unless it is listed.

ummok, Apr 25, 8:59am
I cannot seem to find anything for Invercargill about pruning them,I have one planted in the right spot etc but want to prune back some of the older wood and get some new growth.