New Plug for Outdoor Extension Cord

peanuts37, Jan 15, 5:04pm

tweake, Jan 15, 5:41pm
get the rubber plugs not the hard plastic ones.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 15, 6:35pm
Buy a new cord. Safer. Use pieces of the other one as outdoor ties. They work a treat and save buying things like zip ties and trailer straps, cords and other necessities. Some of my old electronic leads are now holding up my handing baskets.

trade_menow, Jan 15, 11:32pm
while your at it - get your self a rcd if you dont already have one

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 16, 7:34am
Yup. I have my scooter plugged in to trickle charge using one of the heavy duty outdoor leads with a locking clip to an rcd protected indoor socket as a temporary measure till the outdoor socket can be organised. No problems so far, though I wish they'd make a shorter one. Obviously these are designed with mowers and hedge trimmers in mind, they go on forever! Still, makes it easy to arrange for a drip loop, just in case.

nzshooter01, Jan 16, 8:11am
I know how you feel
I cut the cable on my extension lead while useing the hedge trimmer
Went to mitre 10 to buy a new plug a new 20mtr heavy duty lead was the same price as the new plug
Crazy

gabbysnana, Jan 16, 8:51am
and you lived to tell the tale.

nzshooter01, Jan 16, 2:17pm
RCD turned off, all safe

bill1451, Jan 18, 1:45pm
if you had an RCD on it it would have tripped anyway, RCD,s are mandatory for outdoor use.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 9:45pm
I am sure you can, and if it was for an indoor lead I would be all for it, but as it is an exterior lead I stick by my suggestion. It is the possibility of wet that concerns me, from whatever source. I don't want to hear your hair has frizzed out and you have lights coming out your eyes all because your independent streak got the better of you. Factory made is factory assembled, homemade can never be quite that good.

And yes, I wire indoor stuff up too. But not for exterior use.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 9:48pm
Btw, my next project with my electrical cord lasso is to straighten up my overloaded peach tree by ratcheting it back off the path via the obsolete sky dish. I just hope that thing is well fixed to the brick wall.

bill1451, Jan 19, 8:27am
kittycatkin wrote:
I wasn't silly enough to pick up the live end.

The first time it happened, the live end brushed my leg as I passed it going into the house to switch it off, and it was painful but not excruciating.[/quote
you actually need to get your sitchboard checked by a qualified electrician, if your cord was cut then it should have tripped the circuit breaker. If you have fuses these will probably/possibly not blow because of the fact they may have been replaced with bigger fuse wire. PLEASE please for your well being stop this gungho attitude and get some proffessional advice, this from an electrician of 45 years and I,ve seen it all and by this post still seeing it.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 19, 9:04am
Place would be very dull without kittycatkin to tease.

joanie32, Jan 19, 3:12pm
They also make a stylish belt for gentlemen.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 19, 3:19pm
What an excellent idea. And if one was to adapt one of those old vcr leads with male and female plugs, one wouldn't even need a buckle!

bill1451, Jan 19, 6:48pm
I can top that, back in the day when binder twine (for hay bales) was made from flax, my farmer father used to use it to hold up his workday trousers.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 19, 8:56pm
Best to ignore bad behaviour and reward good. Like, if you buy a new one, I shall be proud of you.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 19, 8:58pm
You aren't dumb kit. But home fixed cannot seal the plug to the cord as factory made can. And you never know where wet is.

There is a point when DIY is just egotism, not common sense.

supernova2, Jan 19, 9:15pm
Hope its better quality than the Deta 15amp cord sockets. Needed one for a 15amp extension cord. I could have made a better item out of playdough.

peanuts37, Aug 23, 5:55pm
Well done.