Outdoor ants eradication

molly37, Feb 3, 6:56pm
We moved rurally before Xmas. Whilst we hardly get any ants inside we are very bothered by them outside. Builder recently found a nest and I suspect there are more they are so prolific. Professionals tell me a $175 spray comes with no guarantee, so wondering if anyone has a tried and true method we could attempt. I understand it could take some time, and I'm realistic well probably never get rid completely. But would like to sit outside without facing an army!

wine-o-clock, Feb 3, 7:27pm
talcum powder at entry points

tweake, Feb 3, 8:47pm
there is a special ant bait that i cannot remember the name.
it comes in a caulking tube. you squirt the stuff out with a caulking gun and simply blanket the area. it might be a commercial product.
hope that helps.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 3, 9:23pm
Ant Rid or No More Ants, in a jar lid, out of the way of pets and kids but in the ants pathway. They feast on it and take it back to the nest, killing the whole nest. I use it a lot around potted plants because they love setting up home in them. Works a treat, and a lot cheaper than pest control, even if you need to repeat.

zsazsa777, Feb 3, 10:18pm
Try
Tasmex Exterm-an-Ant Gel 100ml bottle

highclouds, Feb 3, 10:57pm
When you say your ‘ bothered’ by the ants outside can you explain why this might be ? , no one like Ants trooping across their bench top but outside their presence in our ( landscape gardener of 30 years ) experience is never a problem . Ants like many insects including the honey bee play a very important role in the cycle of life .

trade_menow, Feb 4, 1:07am
give em a dose of ripcord plus . its quite long lasting stuff so the little buggers should get the hint and move elsewhere :)

articferrit, Feb 4, 7:30am
Exterm-an-ant works well, you put it in a plastic 'cage' which the ants can easily get into.

lythande1, Feb 4, 8:19am
Outside? Why bother? There are ants literally everywhere, more than you can see. If they are not inside, forget it, you can't sterilise the world and shouldn't try, you mess up the ecosystem.

kitty179, Feb 4, 8:56am
Agree to a point. I have a lot of ants around the outside of my house. They can party outdoors as much as they want, but I do take action when they start trailing up inside the outdoor cladding of my house and making nests inside my walls and roof space, and invading my power sockets etc. I have tried paying professionals but found the results are not any better than doing it myself with various baits, ant sand and barrier sprays.

llessur.46, Feb 4, 1:59pm
If they are not near the proximity of the house or where you sit outside to have a bbq etc I would let them be. They will be doing what they should for the eco system and leaving you alone.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 4, 2:55pm
Nothing worse than having a quiet drink under the brolly, enjoying the garden, and having the beasts exploring your legs. And they bite.

Die you creepy critters!

molly37, Feb 4, 8:24pm
I dont mind them outside and we noticed thousands on the grass which would crawl on ya if standing long enough. however we have now covered this patch of grass to accommodate a 5m deck. ants are now trailing across it in a steady stream. builder found one nest. Thanks for all the recommendations.

dee238, Feb 4, 9:14pm
Ant sand is premo.

chnman, Feb 21, 10:10pm
'X-It Ant' is the only spray that controls ants for us, as it is a 'non-repellent' spray. It used to be branded as X-It Ant by Key Industries, but is now X-It Ant by No Pests. It is a spray for outdoor use only. There is another non-repellent spray from No Pests, called 'Crawling Insect Spray' which can be used indoors (it used to be called 'Recruit' when under Key Industries).
https://www.nopests.co.nz/ We wouldn't have had success controlling the ants without watching these videos, especially Part 3 with someone from Key Industries talking about the product (and especially from about 24:45). You will learn so much from viewing. Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDSvKDLloI

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dpO6TIN83M Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BwNiaL96FM

dibble35, Aug 16, 3:40pm
I had success with the ant gel bait in the yellow tube when I had ants in the cladding of my house - it was a long time of constant baiting till they disappeared, maybe 4-6 weeks.