Metal Detector.anyone ideas on a good one?

hezwez, Feb 24, 11:04pm
Bump for any further updates? Like to what depth does the minelab vanquish 540 work?

smyrnia, Feb 25, 5:40pm
Depth is a bit of a red herring.
Lets take a detector that claims to work to lets say 15", lets say it's been tested in Florida.
Take that same detector to a spot with highly mineralised soil and it will only work to say 7".
Same principle on wet sand.
There's a lot a marketing bunk around detectors like any product.
If you really want to get your head around some them have a read of this site.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/
There's some really clued up folks lurking there and lots of gems of info for those that spend the time prospecting for it.
A good question to ask yourself is
What do I want to do with it ie just play round in the local park looking for a bit of loose change. Go down the beach looking for stuff. Looking for gold, nuggets or fine stuff ?
They all require different approaches.
Spend a few hrs (if not days) reading the above forum.
You will have a better understanding of what you want.
And as always, just because someone posts something on a forum, it doesn't mean they know anything :)

hezwez, Feb 25, 7:03pm
Thanks smyrnia

bill1451, Mar 5, 7:28pm
Be prepared to spend around $400 to $600 for a good beginners model.
I had a "Fisher F4" good beginners unit found $11.00 at Waihi in 2 days.
If you intend doing a lot of beach work, maybe get something that will handle wet sand (mineralisation) and maybe minor immersion in shallow water.
As before you know it someone will ask you to locate their wedding/engagement ring that they think they lost "about here"

bill1451, Mar 5, 7:31pm
Also a plastic "shoe" that fits on the search coil is a good idea protects against wear and tear.

trade4us2, Mar 5, 10:04pm
I hope to make this one day
https://www.circuitstoday.com/metal-detector-circuit
The transistor costs 38 cents.

I have a special requirement that commercial detectors can't fulfil.

hezwez, Mar 6, 12:38pm
Good luck with that trade4us2
I am interested in a minelab 540 but Jacobs online don't appear to have the coil protector cover you recommend, bill1451

bill1451, Mar 6, 6:27pm
Fisher agent in NZ try "puiakaisupply.co.nz"-
; this gut is in Gore and will freight to your door.
Thesec guys were most helpful and Fisher has models for beginner to expert.

pheonix, Mar 6, 9:01pm

hezwez, Mar 7, 2:37am
Will do, thanks pheonix

bill1451, Mar 7, 1:10pm
I tried puiakaisupply also, cant get any response, I wonder if they are still in existence.?

bill1451, Jul 12, 8:38pm
Second that I watched the first series of detectorists good pommy humour, Obviously the actors knew nothing about detecting as they lifted their detectors at the end of each arc. And their search pattern if viewed from above would be a zig zag not a solid block, (i have done enough detecting to know what I,m talking about) Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed the series.

hezwez, Jul 1, 12:00am
I couldn't think where to start this thread. It's to be DIY definitely, and a bit of a hobby perhaps, but I have no idea where to start, which supplier may be best. I do know that you get what you pay for though. TIA

hezwez, Jul 1, 3:01pm
Bump?

sunnysue1, Jul 1, 3:43pm
I have no idea. but how about You Tube to get an idea. There was something on TV last night about a Tga family that are on YT and metal detecting. Maybe track them down and ask. As an aside have you watched the Detectorists. might suit your humour. lol

smyrnia, Jul 3, 10:10am
I read this forum for a bit of fun.
Seems like a good group of folks
https://community.paydirt.co.nz

krames, Jul 4, 9:17pm
gold bug

hazelnut2, Jul 5, 1:12pm
You mean "Detectorists" a BBC production written by and starring McKenzie Crook from The Office. McKenzie won a BAFTA award for the show and was so nervous when receiving the award his hands were shaking during his speech! A gentle comedy, apart from the spud-throwing! lol

Available on Netflix or Youtube.

housedad, Jul 5, 1:43pm
Check out the minelab range, depending on your budget and intended use. Look at the minelab Vanquish range for beginner and if wanting a few more features try the Equinox range. Look for Dredgenz and Jacobs digital as NZ dealers

ryanm2, Jul 5, 6:35pm
I have a minelab vanquish 540. An excellent do all beginner detector.

ryanm2, Jul 5, 6:36pm
Jacobs electrical has good prices.

xs1100, Jul 11, 8:27pm
try KENNARDS hire they hire them out so try before you buy

hezwez, Oct 16, 6:15am
Thanks guys, all great ideas and I'll check them out.