Car Wreckers or Scrap metal?

toymit, Dec 19, 7:07am
Are they the same, if not, where would one fetch the best price to dump a car.

mm12345, Dec 19, 9:56am
Depends what it is, but the best way may be a no reserve / buyer must collect auction on Trademe.

lythande1, Dec 19, 12:07pm
Scrap Metal
Car Bodies $30.00 a ton
http://www.metalcorp.co.nz/pricelist.php

Wreckers: You can negotiate. son got $420 for his Corolla with the dead motor, I got $300 for mine.

cantabman1, Dec 19, 6:55pm
Scrap metal yard should get you for more money, as this is where a dismantler will take all metal to.

toymit, Dec 19, 8:05pm
What condition were the cars in? The one Im looking at getting rid of has a dead motor and the body isnt in the best shape(not munted or anything).

tintop, Dec 19, 9:33pm
What sort of car ?

A brand new car in mint condition is still worth only $30 a tonne to a scrappy, where it will be worth far far more to a dismantler.

If there are parts that are worth having then the wreckers is the way to go, otherwise the scrapyard.

toymit, Dec 19, 9:35pm
I'll probably take it to the wreckers. Its not in the best condition since its been sitting outside for about a year gathering mould. Its also missing a door.

hammer23, Dec 19, 9:38pm
I went down that path last year and the wrecker gave me much more for my ute and they came and got it. Driver said they strip them down and ship the parts off to the middle east.

tintop, Dec 19, 10:32pm
Whatever -
You came here for advice, people ask questions in an effort to help you and provide the best advice they can, but you ignore them.

slimdog, Jul 3, 3:19pm
Whatever the best advise was to go to a wrecker so, in fact, he followed it rather than ignored it.