How to lacquer metal garden ornaments

maclad, Dec 24, 7:01am
I have been given one of these and would prefer it to stay looking as it does now rather than rustic rust looking. So how do I treat it and with what TIA

slimdog, Dec 24, 10:39pm
First the metal needs to be clean, not just of dirt/rust etc but any wax, grease, oil or silicone that will stop paint for "sticking". At least a detergent or degreaser but better would be a solvent like prepsol. Then with metal you need to have to rough up the surface so paint will stick. Imagine a smooth polished surface, paint will sit on the top, but will eventually fall off. Metal can be chemically etched with an etch primer, or mechanically with sandpaper. If its rough already you could spray clear lacquer straight on after a good clean and see how it goes.

maclad, Dec 24, 11:05pm
This is brand new and looks lovely but I have seen similar ones rust very quickly. This is beautifully painted. Can I just spray over it or could I paint it with polyurethane as I have some already.

lyingnun, Dec 24, 11:07pm
I know completed mosaics that are going to be outside are sprayed with varnish if that is any help.

grangies, Dec 24, 11:58pm
Hi Maclad. Clear Polyurethane will stick better and be more durable than any cheap rubbish from an aerosol.

golfdiver, Dec 25, 12:57am
Try Incrylic

maclad, Dec 25, 1:21am
Thanks for that and it's FREE too, I like that

slimdog, Dec 25, 3:26am
What? Where can you get a quality polyurethane for free? And the paint in spray cans is the same stuff cars are painted with. (Or used to be, 2packs largely replaced laquers). And if you have access to a compressor and spray gun you wouldn't need spray cans. Which no one has suggested anyway.

maclad, Dec 25, 3:44am
Almost free then. Left over from previous job. And thanks for reminder, I actually have a spray paint gun so will be off to get what ever thinners I need and it should be a much easier job with a spray gun. Well done slimdog for jogging my addled brain.

atlantis3, Dec 25, 4:23am
Agree on the aerosol if there is one for cars and may work out cheaper. Is the polyurethane that you have made for outside, if not it is a waste of time as it will not last long. You would need a marine polyurethane that is specifically made for outside or better still a two pack polyurethane.

maclad, Dec 25, 4:27am
Mmmmm yes I do have a 2 pot resin

grangies, Jun 29, 4:40pm
A 2 pot resin will be ideal.

I am car painter, and as a car painter we look upon aerosol lacquers with disdain LOLOL.