Help please choosing pipe/concrete tank

dellboy2, Jan 29, 10:01am
Hi; we have a empty 5000 gallon concrete water tank, at least 30years old, presently doing nothing, (we didn't even know its was there when we bought the place.(so much ivy/growing covering it).Its within a 2.5 meter distance of easily harvestable rain water. Have been in tank, cleaned up, "repaired" obivious cracks within.Now I'm not expecting a miracal with its ability to hold water.But would like to try,have filled orignal "outlet: hole, and made a new one (where I want it to be) but at the same height from base, at this height the concrete is about 75-100 mm thick.My question is; what would be the best type of pipe to use as an outlet (with a isololating valve) was going to use 20mm alkathene, but cant imagine a way of sealing concrete to that type of plastic.Could use glav pipe.But need to pull a few favours for that.Just would like to know, what, if any oldies looking at this would use.Will be using a (for now) IF its holds water a cheapish pump, mainly for irrigation.Just as a note, I'm not to fussy if it does loose water, we really do need to divert away from house anyway. If it leaks like a sieve, then I'll just knock anouther hole though and bypass tank, chooks can have water!or a duck pond even.Christ don't suggest that to the missus!.and will cut a door in it and bingo.anouther shed.can never have enough sheds, thats my moto Thanks for any suggestions.sensible suggestions!

omamari, Jan 29, 6:43pm
I would stay away from galvanised fittings, will go rusty. A 20mm outlet is too small in my opinion, will restrict flow. You could use a PVC or brass threaded socket. Can be fitted with epoxy concrete, used for repairing water troughs ectc

wfl1, Jan 30, 12:49am
Hansen (Black plastic type )make the fittings you want to go through the tank wall . I have used them with a large flange on one side and a threaded back nut on the other. Both have a large sealing washer for inside and out. I would use some silicon as well. I have sucesfully used these on farm water troughs. Available farm supplies outlet , RD1- Farmlands - Wrightsons -or others.

stevo2, Jan 30, 5:01am
Hansen fittings readily available. Use 32/40mm pipe from tank to pump then 20/25mm after that.

figjam999, Jan 30, 8:31am
if you are going to use hansen fittings on a concrete tank, you need to grind the area behind where the nut goes smooth so it gives you a better sealing surface

dellboy2, Jan 30, 9:31am
Hey; thankyou very much guys, for you suggestions.Will zip into our nearest RD1 next week (after I get back from the sevens) If I have a few dollars left!Your ideas are what I had'nt thought of.but I learn.I learn Mr. Falwty.Thanks again

40wav, Jan 31, 7:04am
Don't use a plastic tank connector on a concrete tank - you'll never get it to seal properly. Just make a hole and get a length of brass threaded tube (25 / 40mm depending on outflow needed) and get some 'Humebond' which is just two pot epoxy mortar (also available as 'Hyndbond' and probably other names) then set it in with that. Place whatever fittings you need on the end of that. Humebond is great stuff and after you've used it once, you'll find all kinds of uses for it.

guest, Oct 10, 6:58am
There are, of course, two sides to the issue. The ulitity company has no legal right to enter your premises, just as law enforcement has no legal right to walk in uninvited. They do have a legal mandate to maintain their plant, but that ends at the meter.As someone who has been an emergency responder for 27+ years (fire), let me address the other side of the issue. You assume that there is a defect in your cooker , but you don't really know. My guess is that there is at least no gas leaking, as you have not gone boom yet. Your lack of concern for your own safety is none of my (or anyone else's) business, but I fear for the safety of others around you. Your attitude, while common, seems foolish to me.

guest, Oct 11, 8:45am
In the US- no, you don't, inside plimubng is your responsibility and if you blow up it's your business. Not sure if rules are diff in UK- and am guessing you are UK because Americans don't say cooker .Inspecting fittings is a good way to prevent leaks and deaths.Perhaps there is a program that helps old people to get safer appliances.Remember- if your house blows up it will likely take out the neighbors' houses as well, so no, you are not the only one at risk. And maintaining appliances/plimubng and replacing defective units is your responsibility.

guest, May 31, 5:17pm
I think you are obliged to let them check your alnipapces, all gas fixtures ie cooker boiler etc are required to be checked at least every 12 months it doesnt matter if your a tenant or a homeowner, and its not just you at risk if your home blows up its likely to effect your neighbours, and what about your immediate family wether you live alone or not im sure they would care if you got blown to smithereens because you couldnt be arsed to get your alnipapces checked!!