Have you relocated a water tank before?

scotts04, Oct 9, 5:03am
we have a water tank located at the front of our property which is a bit of a ugly sight, we are thinking of moving it over behind our house so its not so visable. the tank has a pump wired into it, we know it will involve a sparky and plumber, hi-ab. Just wondered if anyone has done this and was it very costly? thanks everyone

annies3, Oct 9, 5:34am
We would also be interested in this, ours is a concrete tank so would be quite heavy but nothing else involved, would it be too heavy for a hiab ?

jills3, Oct 9, 5:34am
We won a concrete water tank off Trademe, only bid as it was 2km down the road, Hi-ab cost about $900 to collect and bring to our house and position, luckily the vehicle with flashing light warning people of large item coming on hi-ab was a local guy and he didnt charge us, but we gave him beer.

skin1235, Oct 9, 5:38am
a concrete tank?
they can be move short distances on easy terrain simply by wrapping a chain around the bottom and towing it with a tractor

tweake, Oct 9, 6:58am
the other thing is site prep.
will the new location withstand the weight without sinking.

oclaf, Oct 9, 7:06am
I've dragged a few of mine around with my Isuzu Bighorn 4x4. Going uphill can be tricky but doable with block and tackle. On the flat they are generally easy to move around, the first few centimeters popping them out of their hole usually takes the most pulling.
Expensive if you can't move it yourself/ need a HIAB.

scotts04, Oct 9, 7:47am
ours is a plastic tank, sits on the ground
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/417254400.jpg

oclaf, Oct 9, 9:13am
That is super easy to move.

aj.2., Oct 9, 9:21am
You have a reason to move it other than how it looks, ? .
Why not built a cover around / over it, cheaper and faster way to do that,
Also you will need to change the water pipes, as I take it you are on council supply, so will need to bury that inlet pipe, from front yard to the back yard.
The pump I take it is used for pressure supply into the house? .

annies3, Oct 9, 8:24pm
Ours has a steel loop on the side for towing or lifting but we were concerned it would break up, it is very ancient, doesn't leak though and has been used for water supply to a house until now, it is around 400 m to move and the terrain is rough, well, undulating may be a better term, not really rough.

scotts04, Oct 10, 6:47am
Yes looks, from the street it looks like s**t, we are planning to pull down the hedge in front of the house which will give us more land - at least 1.5m. Yeah connected to a private water scheme, the plumbing side of us doesnt worry us, think we will just crack on with it, still waiting on the plumber and sparky to come take a look. Plus having the pump at the back of the house away from bedrooms would be good - its not really noisy but I can hear it every night - light sleeper.

scotts04, Sep 6, 10:01am
yeah we thought so, especially when its empty, its just the prep on the other side of the house. We had a septic tank contractor at our property recently who agreed - simple job, move it - looks ugly, cheaper than trying to cover it up he said.