Washing Machine -Top or Front load?

Page 1 / 2
beachboy61, Nov 28, 8:46am
Theres only my wife and I and our current front loading washing machine needs to be replaced.
Not sure whether to get top or front load as both would work in our situation.
I have thought of top loading being old technology but my wifes says it's not so and it doesn't matter?
Top loading seem to be cheaper.

budgel, Nov 28, 9:32am
I've always favoured top loading as you can access the clothing at any stage for whatever reason. Friends had an upmarket frontloader for years, last time I was at their place I noticed that it had been replaced with a toploader.
Your wife is right, it doesnt matter.

harm_less, Nov 28, 9:50am
Top loaders are less abrasive on fabrics (clothing) due to their tumbling action, use less water and so require less detergent, and if you go mid-upper market they tend to have a longer life and less maintenance issues.

If you need to add/remove an item mid-wash front loaders usually have an 'unlock' feature so you can do so.

trouser, Nov 28, 9:51am
If your house is not on a concrete slab then a front loader will be very noisy when spinning. I much prefer a front loader but they can cause a lot of noise and vibration even when properly setup.

woody89, Nov 28, 9:51am
Personal preference. I've gone back to top load. If you have a few spare hours of your life to waste try the search bar for many previous threads!

amasser, Nov 28, 9:59am
Front-loaders have consistently out-performed top-loaders in Consumer tests for years - the best top-loader was not in the top 10 for dirt removal. They use less water, electricity, powder and cause less tangling.
Having had a f/l for about 15 years (same machine), would never consider a top-loader. Prefer to buy on facts, not opinions.

mrfxit, Nov 28, 1:29pm
Top loader all the way here.
Ease of loading & unloading
No bending over.
Stop cycle at any moment to add/ remove more/ re-balance big stuff.
Less chance of leaks with a top loader, (front & top loader can leak same places but top loader also from the door).
Less chance of toddlers/ pets getting in if the door is open.
Generally cheaper to replace/ repair

woody89, Nov 28, 1:48pm
I'm a consumer & fact is my top loader cleans much better than my expensive front loader ever did. It also doesn't cause flooding issues & machine stoppages when something gets caught in a filter that's tricky to get to & requires fiddly draining. My top loader also didn't cost anything for servicing for years, unlike it's unpopular friend. Still, what does experience matter?

crazynana, Nov 28, 2:07pm
You can get a "dud" whatever you buy, even expensive ones. I had a Fisher and Paykell for about 30 years and it sadly died in the earthquakes. ate a whole lot of liquifaction. We didn't know where we were going to move to so just went to the Warehouse and bought a cheap top loader for $349.00 thinking when we moved we could get one to fit what space there was for a good machine. Seven years from the quakes we are still usung the machine and it has never missed a beat. Most of the time there is just the two of us but at weekends there are six.

thisles5, Nov 28, 2:16pm
bottom.

gerry90, Nov 28, 2:27pm
Top- fact.

trad, Nov 28, 2:37pm
What make is the machine?

jano8, Nov 28, 3:57pm
i had the same toploader for 15 years never missed a beat loved it - but when i moved house thought it was time i upgraded to these frontloaders everyone was raving about. well i much much preferred my top loader to my new front loader. cycle takes longer, can't stop it midway to add something and i my clothes come up more wrinkled : (. (the only real advantage i find with my front loader is i can put thing son top of it.)
nothing wrong with top loaders !

trade4us2, Nov 28, 11:08pm
Front loaders are less abrasive on clothes and use a lot less water and soap. They rinse better too.

wine-o-clock, Nov 29, 7:15am
not everyone in nz is silly enough to pay for water

rose-murray, Nov 29, 7:37am
We don't pay for water but we like to conserve water and therefore choose washing appliances that are proven to use less water. So both our washing machine and dishwasher reflect this. You need to choose your front loader carefully and do your homework. Mine is big enough to wash a duvet, it has a stop button you can use to interrupt the cycle to add washing, it has dozens of wash,spin and soak options with a favourite programme option. I agree that if you have a wooden floor it probably won't like it (too much movement).

ryanm2, Nov 29, 7:54am
We recently purchased a front loader after only ever using top loaders. I think our <$1000 Electrolux front loader is kinda rubbish. It may clean the clothes better but we always get hair (the wifes) through the washing, the process takes longer and then we have to put it on a 8 min spin cycle to get rid of excess water. Bending down to grab the clothes and put them in is also a pain the arse. I actually miss our Simpson Eziset top loader.

cantabman1, Nov 29, 8:16am
Getting the Real facts on some of these threads is hard, when people of little appliance experience put their two bobs worth in.
I have always used a top loader, mainly because over the years they were more common and in the earlier days cost less.
The earlier available brands were mostly rubbish, EG Hoovers, with crap cheap parts.
These days there are affordable front loader that work really well, and if you don't mind bending to load and unload, no problem.
My best mate who is a retired appliance serviceman of F & P now has a front loader Heier brand and it is really reliable. They do save water, they do use less powder and you can interupt the cycle to add or remove cloths, so in the end it is all a personal choice. [ex appliance retailer]

rose-murray, Nov 29, 10:12am
I bought my first front loader in 1994. It was an asko (really all that was available then). It lasted 20 years, but when it broke I couldn't find anyone to fix it and all the repairmen said the cost and difficulty in getting parts made it financially not worth it. So I bought a new Electrolux front loader. It went fine for 3 years, but early this year it developed a problem. Out of warranty I contacted Electrolux and told them how disappointed I was that such an expensive machine could only last 3 years. They looked at it and it turned out the wiring loom was too short and had broken with movement (also found that one of the suspension arms was disconnected, maybe never connected). They fixed it all for free. I need a front loader, being on a bore, to conserve water and I am all for saving on power and laundry detergent.

strathview, Nov 29, 1:49pm
If you are buying water or are on a limited water supply (tank only) buy a front loader. Otherwise buy whatever suits you and your budget. I do find my front loader is gentler on clothes.

trade4us2, Nov 29, 6:02pm
If you have a dryer, that is a front loader. If you don\t like bending down, put the washer and dryer on a platform.

sanders4, Nov 29, 7:50pm
friends 10kg panasonic front loader spat the dummy at 3 years of age - net cost of $450 per year down the drain. maybe cheaper to get laundry done professionally! Top loaders in our house do 20 plus years minimum and results are really good using Pams cold water liquid laundry that leaves cottons so soft - unlike the concrete delivered with powders.

catdog68, Nov 29, 8:29pm
Just recently bought a LG front loader after always having a F&P toploader. Only got it as we got it half price through a friend who works at Smiths City. Although I always have it on the fastest spin the clothes always seem a lot wetter, the toploader definitely spins them drier. I do find the bending down a pain and tend to only use the quick wash programme as some of the other programmes seem to go on forever. It does use a lot less powder though.

lythande1, Nov 30, 11:50am
I have used a front loader. Never again, takes so damn long.
Quite happy with my top loader, with minimal controls.

snapperheadrkp, Nov 30, 1:36pm
We had a Bosch Front Loader for about 3 years (we are on tank water and thought we could save some water - probably correct as if you watch it washing you would wonder how so little water could actually wash clothes). Wife swore it didn't wash as well as the 10 or so top loaders we have owned over the years. She did a survey of friends who have tried both and most agreed with her.
2 years ago we i replaced the Bosch with a F&P Aquasmart 2 top loader and she is happy as a PIS.
The Aquasmart has no agitator so a medium sized machine will easily wash king sized duvets etc and save her having to take them to a Laundromat