Suggestions for plant to grow in pot in shade

holmda, Oct 13, 12:31pm
Hi. I would like to put a container plant by my front door which is on the south side so only gets some sun in mid summer but is otherwise always in shade. Preferably something that will grow about a metre or so in height and produce something edible. I was thinking of a bay tree, but don't think it will do well in the shade. Any suggestions? I live in Wellington.

docsportello, Oct 13, 1:18pm
The sticking point here is the edible fruit. is there a prize for winning the riddle?

holmda, Oct 13, 1:49pm
Haha - the prize can be the mythical edible fruit!. I just like useful things, but if it is an impossibility, then any plant suggestions would be welcome.

docsportello, Oct 13, 3:14pm
hmmm, so this shade, is it like daylight but no direct sunlight, or shade so dark it's like twilight all day?

Part shade things in pots that are easy to find could be the darker flowered day lillies, hydrangea, chatham Island forget me not or Renga Renga lilly (or a whole host of native trees/shrubs), or even a Helleborus. Various Black taro have interesting flowers.

kateley, Oct 13, 3:22pm
Black currants might do ok, mine are in quite a shady patch and have a heavy crop

holmda, Oct 14, 11:51am
Daylight but no direct sunlight as it is shaded by the house. Thanks for the suggestions, docsportello.

holmda, Oct 14, 12:09pm
Hmmm - that is an idea - but will probably need the pots on wheels.
I've got a Chilean guava / NZ cranberry that I could try out in that spot. Thanks for the suggestions.

tobie2, Mar 7, 11:18am
Go to mitre 10, they have wooden trolley things, on wheels that you put under the pot. They are great and only cost $14. Have 2 at my front door, and can wheel the azaleas out into the sun when need .