Does anyone use ollas? Clay pot irrigation?

ro42, Nov 1, 8:43am
I want to try using ollas for irrigating my garden, but I can't find anyone who makes them here. They are unglazed clay pots with a lid that you bury in the garden and fill with water. The water leaches out through the clay, and keeps the plants irrigated. No evaporation, no drying out, and very efficient use of eater. Anyone know where I can get some!

gabbymoggy, Nov 1, 1:41pm
Have asked here before but like you have been unable to find. Maybe somebody might have started making them.

gabbymoggy, Nov 1, 1:48pm
Ooh i just did a quick Google and apparently SelaoGarden Art in Chch do them

ro42, Nov 1, 7:39pm
ooh, thank you! But according to their website they don't have them yet - I have emailed them anyway. They seem like such a good idea, and for people like me on tank water confronted with what is being said to be a long dry summer, they would be perfect :)

gabbymoggy, Nov 1, 8:48pm
Yeah i saw what it said on their website, but she had posted on a peraculture site on the 17th of October that they had them. Let me know what she sayis as i would definitely consider some, our problem is even the longest hose doesn't reach our vegie patch.

ro42, Nov 1, 9:42pm
You are Upper Hutt too - perhaps we should find a local potter!

sarita12, Nov 1, 11:54pm
Hi
Yes we will be starting to sell the olla clay watering pots after November 18th when we have them all ready. Selao Garden Art is the ONLY place you can buy them in NZ. We are trialing them right now in our organic vege garden dry areas and they are AMAZING - about as efficient as you could ever get. Please feel free to email Jane about buying these : Check out the blurb about ollas at Green Desert if you need any more convincing!

ro42, Nov 2, 12:25am
^^Thanks Jane - hope you will list them on TM :)

sarita12, Dec 20, 4:58pm
I have just listed some olla clay irrigation pots for sale on Trade Me. These are amazingly good. I have 4 sizes and brochures explaining all about them.