What pot size for dwarf fruit trees?

steves73, Aug 22, 6:19am
Just wondering what pot size i should get for dwarf peach and necterine trees.

Looked at wine barrel halves, ack too large. so wondering what pot size would be suitable.

Would i have to repot every few years?
All i know is they would need regualr watering during warmer months

Thanks

paix1, Aug 22, 7:48am

katelin1, Aug 25, 11:24pm
Best to plant in 30L approx for a start then gradually build up to wine barrel size.

katelin1, Aug 25, 11:25pm

wheelz, Aug 26, 4:19am
IMO the bigger the better. I would be aiming towards wine barrel size or even bigger if that was possible. I would only pot fruit trees if I was renting. Otherwise I really believe they are better inground and much easier to care for too!

steves73, Aug 28, 12:36pm
Thanks.
Ended up getting 30l pots.
I planted a couple in ground and couple in pots. will see what happens

marie2244, Aug 29, 7:13am
Always better in the ground !

schnauzer11, Aug 30, 12:27am
I've got an interesting situation at the property we moved to last year. There's a mature dwarf almond tree which appears to be in a wooden pot about half a metre square. I realise that the base must have rotted and the roots well and truly down in the soil now. The top of the soil around the tree is about 1/2 metre above the ground. I can't replace the crumbling pot. Should we build it a new surround, perhaps with bricks?

coralsnake, Aug 30, 3:06am
When we were living in Texas, partner build an oblong raised garden using summerhill stone blocks but typical him, never reinforced it, no mortar etc.
Over time the big Live Oak tree dropped acorns some of which germinated in said raised garden.

I would remove them and repot them on.
He left one in to grow in the raised garden but after about 3 years, the blocks fell over and he was left with a very raised oak tree. Oak tree roots are very long to begin with so no hope of digging out and replanting.

In end he got friend in who knew what they were doing to make a smaller block raised garden around oak so it would survive!

schnauzer11, Oct 15, 11:51am
That's what I'm thinking, coralsnake. It's just bursting into bloom, and this year I'm going to hand-pollinate, as the poor bees did their best last year, but limited fruit.I think the poor tree needs a more steady above-ground container in the next year.I'll look at blocks/bricks.