Feijoa in pot

rogerk1, Apr 25, 4:07am
Want to plant a single plant in a pot. What suggestions as to type of feijoa, and anything special about planting them in a pot?

maclad, Apr 25, 4:22am
I think one of the newer mini varieties would be far better and more successful to put in a pot. Feijoas grow big and fast and unless it received a lot of attention I do not think it would do very well. Lots of good feeding and watering and good pot mix and you should do fine.

koru67, Apr 25, 4:31am
I was just reading about Feijoa Bambina. "Ideal container plant with compact habit".

nchun, Apr 25, 5:29am
Wiki Tu and Opal Star are naturally compact varieties (but have good size fruit), so these would be your best choice for growing in large tubs. Ensure the tub is at least 40lit size +. Even then, the trees will never be as fruitfully productive compared to growing in the open garden. Keep in mind you need 2 Feijoas, each being of a different variety, for cross pollination purposes. So if you are growing a single tree, then you may/will have issues with pollination (no fruit). Bambina is a small compact growing variety, but the fruit is VERY small and more a novelty Feijoa, than a purposeful, useful fruiting Feijoa tree variety. Cheers!

rarogirl1, Apr 26, 3:24am
thank you nchun that was very informative

rogerk1, Apr 26, 5:33am
thanks all for input - MOST valuable

venna2, Apr 26, 7:23am
Do you really need to grow it in a pot - is it so you can move it if/when you shift house?

rogerk1, Apr 27, 4:43am
Yes - could be moving, and would take with us:)
TX

yjeva, Apr 27, 4:54am
"Apollo" and "Unique" are both self fertile varieties.

twain1, Apr 27, 10:08am
Unique is self fertile but too large for a pot. I would say that as suggested above, Wikie Tu only 1.5x1.5m.
If it were me, I would plant it in the ground and then if I were moving I would buy another.
Feijoa require very high fertlility soils and I doubt very much they will get the required nutrients in pot culture. You will have a nice plant but probably no fruit

rogerk1, May 2, 12:59am
Hmm - maybe I will get a Unique and put in ground!

mssteptoe, May 4, 2:57am
I tried to grow a hermaphrodite feijoa in a pot, it never took off. Late last year I planted it in my garden, this year it is fruiting the most awesome fruit and it's still only small. Definitely the ground is superior.

rogerk1, Jan 18, 9:51am
Thanks mssteptoe