Lemon Tree - how often to feed it?

huia4, Aug 7, 3:21am
I fed my lemon tree with citrus fruit tree food and it suddenly produced lots of "baby lemons". How often should I feed it?

samanya, Aug 7, 6:35am
I'm sure Mrs Google will be able to tell you what is suitable for your region. I'm in Nth Canterbury & I do my citrus in spring & early autumn & I'm not 100% sure that I'm right.
Water over the summer is the important thing. I have a mature tree laden with lemons & they are all pretty much useless at the moment . even in a sheltered spot, the lemons froze solid on the tree, this winter.
Good luck.

maclad, Aug 7, 6:37am
3 or 4 times a year, citrus are gross feeders and require lots of fertilizer. I would suggest about now so the new growth gets a good start, again in 3 month intervals. A small amount of extra magnesium would help as well. Don't forget to water well in summer. I always understood that citrus require about 2kg of per year of age up to 10 years old when you just give them about 5kg divide into 4 lots annually, if that makes sense.

samanya, Aug 7, 7:22am
[quote=, ]3 or 4 times a year, citrus are gross feeders and require lots of fertilizer. I would suggest about now so the new growth gets a good start, again in 3 month intervals. A small amount of extra magnesium would help as well. Don't forget to water well in summer. I always understood that citrus require about 2kg of per year of age up to 10 years old when you just give them about 5kg divide into 4 lots annually, if that makes sense.[/quote]
Hey thanks maclad. My poor mature lemon tree (25 yrs) has really suffered this winter. I did all the summer feed/water bit, because I treasure it & after many -7 frosts the poor darling is looking very sad. Quite exceptional conditions & in a sheltered spot . heart breaking stuff, really.
I'm itching to get in the garden again , with the fertiliser etc & we had a -4 today. so have to be patient.
No appreciable rain in the summer & some humungous frosts this winter & not a lot of winter rain . it's scary!
I just hope that we have a mild summer with plenty of rain . but the forecasts are not promising.

maclad, Aug 7, 7:44am
Lemons are quite resilient and you may be surprised what yours may cope with. just give it lots of TLC and I am confident it will rise and fruit again. Good luck. Patience required.

atom.ant, Aug 7, 8:00am
pee on it. they seem to love it.

samanya, Aug 7, 8:34am
OMG . I hope so. One of my little luxuries in life is the wonder of wandering out to pick a fresh lemon . whether it be for a vital ingredient for a recipe or a G & T . I just love it & feel so lucky.

samanya, Aug 7, 10:39am
Apparently it's male pee that does the trick. but I don't mind either way. I would find it blardy difficult to pee on my tree, but I suppose I could use a bucket & then pour it around the roots! Quite possible, as I'm rural with no 'onlookers'! ;o)

lythande1, Aug 7, 7:33pm
Urine just gives it nitrogen. you need a lot of it to help the tree, stick to compost, manure and citrus fertiliser.
Our tree was a sad, neglected, sick looking thing when we bought here. Now it's thriving, has far too many lemons.

midnight42, Aug 8, 8:37am
Is old horse manure ok for lemons?

irenew, Aug 9, 3:17am
I sprinkle Epsom salts round my citrus trees and water them in well. I plan to do it monthly, but in reality it's usually more sporadic. Seems to help though.

kaylin, Nov 1, 8:59pm
I water mine with worm wee.