My lemon tree is looking a bit sick

muffycaz, Mar 4, 10:19pm
Because we have not had any rain in the last couple of months my lemon tree is looking a bit sick.All the leaves have started to fall off and there is very few fruits on it (mainly because someone stripped/stole the lemons). I was wondering if I could give it a good prune basically back to nothing.The tree looks as though it needs a good prune.Tree would be at least 10 years old maybe more.

lythande1, Mar 4, 10:32pm
No. You only prune to let light/air into the middle if it's a tangle.
Water it.

stevee6, Mar 4, 10:34pm
Have you irrigated it! Also, surround the base(not touching the trunk) with a mulch to hold the moisture in. Compost or dried mower clippings works well.

homeless_guy, Mar 5, 12:21am
and drive a copper nail into it's trunk. Maggie Barry was a fan of that trick and it works!

muffycaz, Mar 5, 12:57am
Yes I am sure it works well.I want some more lemons not a dead tree

harrislucinda, Mar 5, 1:04am
maybeleavethepruningjustnowandgiveagooddrinkandfertilize

homeless_guy, Mar 5, 3:24am
Seriously, a copper nail DOES work very well. I saw this many years ago and have done it myself. It works. Helps fruiting apparently.
Ask Maggie!

parryduck, Mar 5, 5:33am
What critter is it, that eats the leaves!Mine is in a patio pot, and producing little fruits (it's only maybe a year old) but the leaves have been well and truly munched.

stevee6, Mar 5, 5:38am
Have a look over it for stick insects - they eat leaves as if there was no tomorrow.

comadi, Mar 7, 8:23am
Its that simple, but don't spray it, put the hose on the ground, near the trunk quarter on, and give it an hour or 2, two to three times a week while this drought continues.
My lemonade tree is thriving with lots of new growth and lemonades on it :-)

mcgolly, Mar 7, 9:58am
All citrus crave water

cantabman1, Mar 7, 7:23pm
All good advise so far, nothing wrong with a good prune now.
Keep the branches seperate and think of your hand and fingers outstretched. By cutting it back, it will put less stress on the tree to supply food.

budgel, Mar 7, 7:48pm
Put a tablespoon of epsom salts in a bucket of water and then water it.
It seems to rejuvenate them.

midget8, Mar 10, 4:55am
Don't prune-the biggest killer is dry as they are shallow rooted. Use heaps of compost and grass clippings around the drip line plus a good dose of epsom salts and water,water,water in this weather esp.

tmg, Apr 25, 4:53pm
One here got a fairly good pruning 2 years ago -- probably as old if not older than yours. it sat dormant over winter & this last spring put up quite a bit of new growth from branches left -- no flowers or lemons this year . possibly a few next year