Gib fixers

Page 1 / 2
soxxy, Mar 5, 10:54pm
Queries, please -
1. Is there a minimum number of screws to affix a sheet of gib onto the studs?
2. Is it OK to use 2.4 sheets of Gib diagonally across a 2.4 wall.?
We will need 2x1200 sheets & 300cm for a 2.7high wall.
3. If the gib is 300cm short across the wall, would it be better to add at the top of the wall or at the bottom of the wall?
Thanks

martin11, Mar 5, 11:24pm
Winstones had a mesh tape on the market in about 1999 and it was withdrawn after testing because it is inferior to paper tapes the compound does not stick to the fibre tapes . Also Winstones will not stand by their product if you have any problems if the fixing and stopping is not as per their specs .

martin11, Mar 5, 11:25pm
Get either 2.7 sheets if going vertical or the wide 1350mm sheets if going horizontal .

survivalkiwi, Mar 6, 4:18am
Paper tape is stronger if the pull is along the join.

zak410, Mar 6, 8:08am
As mention before get some Gib at 1350 wide made for 2.7m ceiling hight and yes horizontally is best, no gaps between sheet, clearance from the floor, use glue, no need for screws in the centre of sheet, (but only if very loose), screw perimeter every 200mm or so unless if bracing then refer to Gib site guide, download online.

soxxy, Mar 6, 8:12am
Thanks for the info zak and martin.

zak410, Mar 6, 8:30am
. and internal corners are best tight, with no gaps, so line around the room rather than opposite walls first. if you know what I mean.

iluvmuse, Mar 6, 9:08am
In what situations are internal metal corners used?

zak410, Mar 6, 6:46pm
not really needed if you can use paper tape.

there are also plastic rolls (30m) to make sharp corners easily, Straitflex 'tuff tape' and other grades of for offset internal or ex corners.

johotech, Mar 6, 6:57pm
Another alternative is to use 1200 wide sheets with the 300mm section cut edge at the bottom, so there is a flat surface for fitting the skirting. Makes it easier if using a small skirting.

Wideline (1350mm) is only available in 3 sizes 3.8, 4.8 & 6.0m, and is not available with TE/SE (one flat edge).

golfaholic2, Mar 7, 4:24am
Wideline ONLY comes with TE/SE .
Nauff board I think it's called , has wideline available in many sizes .

newtec1, Mar 7, 9:32am
That could be many things,not necesarily gib fixing. The width of the jamb,the variance in the cladding etc etc.

edwards12, Aug 22, 6:22am
Looking for good quality gib fixers to do high end architectual housing work

johotech, Aug 22, 7:11am
They're all much of a muchness, What are you looking for exactly? High end gib screws in a straight line? Or would you like it hand screwed or hand nailed like the old days?

The framing and the stopping have more influence on the final look of the work, rather than the fixers.

zak410, Aug 22, 8:20am
A good fixer makes a top finish easier to achieve for a stopper.

Someone from here. 'golfholic' or similar name is from your area and seems to know his stuff.

krames, Aug 22, 8:24am
the way the sheets are cut and fixed have a lot of influence of the finish a few years down the track.
For example if you run sheet joins up the side of a door as apposed to bringing the join 200mm odd over the head of the door the there is a possibility of cracking later on.
There are many other examples of good/bad fixing methods that can ruin a room if not done correctly.
Like any trade there are cowboys and tradesman.

zak410, Aug 22, 8:39am
As for the bracing instructions.
http://tinyurl.com/le3vjms

I see building inspectors straining their eyes to try to read the numbers on screw heads to make sure they are the right length!

johotech, Aug 22, 8:46am
So had a stopper come to do a full house (renovation) job today. Away he goes, putting self adhesive mesh tape on all the joints. I told him about half the walls in the house are bracing walls and need to be done with gib paper tape - he said, "this is what we always use and have never had any problems". So much for bracing specifications.

tillsbury, Aug 22, 8:50am
Pull him off the job. If you go up the food chain he'll eventually be told what to do properly. Wonder what other shortcuts they're taking.

Yes, OP, try to get a recommendation as fixers are very variable. Many are complete bodge merchants. A quality gib fixer is a joy to behold, quick, and will make the stopper's job so much easier. They are few and far between, as fixing is such an unskilled trade.

happychappy50, Aug 22, 8:51am
Mesh tape is far stronger than paper,only use paper is corners,always use screws as they grab far better,seen far more "pops" with clouts than screws,also leave a 2 mm gap,between joints as it allows the base coat to set better,been stopping gib for yrs & never had cracks,also hang my own so no question about sufficient fixing points.

zak410, Aug 22, 8:51am
I'm not sure the stopping has anything to do with bracing, fixing has.
But yes I also prefer paper-tape by a country mile.

johotech, Aug 22, 9:03am
From GIB EzyBrace® System Specification:

JOINTING
All fastener heads stopped and all sheet joints paper tape reinforced and stopped in accordance with the GIB® Site Guide.

johotech, Aug 22, 9:23am
Spoke to the property owner (who is the consent holder and contracted the stopper) about it, they didn't want to force the issue. So I shut up about it.

What annoys me is that they charge a per m2 rate for stopping, then use the quick and dirty mesh tape to make their job easy.

- Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

zak410, Aug 22, 9:27am
#10-
Doesn't matter, the fixing inspection is done before stopping, then it get painted and nobody knows what tape is used and it doesn't matter for bracing; the sheets of gib should be touching, few mm of plaster on the surface of the plasterboards wont make much difference to diagonal bracing.

+ many architects/builders use alternative to Gib and find ways to be compliant.

johotech, Aug 22, 9:32am
Yes Zak quite correct. Except for fire rated walls where the stopping and painting form part of the system and are inspected.