Coffee Grounds in the Garden

carter441, Jan 13, 5:21am
Can I put my coffee grounds directly around plants!Is this good for them!I do not have a compost bin.Thoughts appreciated.

flowers35, Jan 13, 6:21am
i put coffee grounds on my garden,2 or 3 times a year,sometimes more and it doesn't affect my plants.

helsbelsnz, Jan 13, 6:22am
My MIL puts coffee grounds and tea leaves around plants, and has a gorgeous garden.They are acidic so maybe not too much or too often in the same place - spread the love around the garden and you'll be fine.

steptoesnr, Jan 13, 6:47am
Coffee grounds are in no way different from from any other unwanted/surplus seeds etc. the only thing to avoid is stacking them knee deep around young plants.

annamairi, Jan 13, 6:53am
Coffee grounds are great around plants for deterring/killing slugs and snails.

matthews4, Jan 13, 6:54am
I have picked them up at BP sometimes, and just spread them over the soil.Smells lovely, and plants don't mind -

rednicnz, Jan 13, 7:19am
We thought this too until we found a snail INSIDE the bag of coffee grounds.

karee.bell, Jan 13, 9:13am
Yes and the rubbish of the milk foil lid, and sugar wrappers etc

lythande1, Jan 13, 6:23pm
[quote=carter441I do not have a compost bin.[/quote]
You don't need a bin for compost.You can just make a heap. Same thing, easy to turn too not being in a container.

kiwisrus, Feb 11, 10:15am
I picked some up from BP tonight and put them in my compost bin :)

brightlights60, Mar 2, 1:03pm
We have a big compost bin, but things like tea bags and coffee grinds go straight on the garden. The banana peels go to the roses (one each at a time as they love the potassium) and the lemon rinds go around the roses to keep away the aphids. Like green acres around here!