Renovating a carved coffee table

kcc55a, Jan 29, 10:48pm
Got one of those glass topped coffee tables with a carved Chinese scene that was popular in the '90's(?). Need to take the wood back to basics to re-varnish it, any suggestions on how best to remove the old varnish in the intricately carved areas.

zak410, Jan 29, 10:53pm
broken glass bottle bits are use in some islands to carve intricate details.

kcc55a, Jan 29, 10:58pm
Thanks, though I'm not sure how that helps

zak410, Jan 29, 11:04pm
The sharp bits can reach details to scrape-off the varnish;
I would use a paint stripper (outdoors for safety) first.

kcc55a, Jan 29, 11:10pm
OK, thanks. Might be quite time consuming tho. I was thinking of a paint stripper and then a waterblast

zak410, Jan 29, 11:13pm
. or wire brush

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 30, 12:04am
The fresh broken glass edge will skim off a layer of varnish without raising the grain of the wood - that minimises the need for subsequent sanding and wire wool cutting back. The grain can swell and distort carving if liquid removers are used, but they are quicker and require less expertise. Simplest of all and most brutal is take the table to a commercial stripper to drop in a tank. Works a treat but bleaches the wood and it looks weird, lol. Saw a similar piece recently that had been reloaded - coloured up in screaming orange. It was superb, but the purist in me still has doubts, lol. (I have a camphorwood chest that is over 200 years old hence my two minds!)

Good luck with it.

samanya, Jan 30, 12:46am
Don't use a waterblaster . they are not even recommended for decking because they stuff up the wood.

cleggyboy, Jan 30, 12:50am
Coopers stripper works well.

mkbooks, Jan 30, 1:24am
Most varnish /paint strippers have a methylene chloride base-this is a pretty toxic chemical ( can cause cardiac arrhythmias) + needs extreme care- nitrile gloves only safe ones-NZ Safety shop. Use a brush to apply. Use outside-ask paint shop for chemical to neutralize after use. If you want a decent job for this kind of table patience + elbow grease are the best method

edjill41, Feb 1, 12:36am
Why not just paint it a lovely light colour? Use a sealer first ( Zinsser), no need to strip

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 1, 1:16am
Or Chinese Lacquer red - gorgeous, contemporary, and in keeping with the spirit of the piece.

kcc55a, Feb 3, 4:54am
I wasn't planning on using a full bore blaster - any way decks are usually Pine which is a soft wood.

samanya, Feb 3, 6:14am
You did say " water blast" @ #5 . hence my suggestion.

kcc55a, Feb 3, 7:29pm
Sorry, my poor.

carter19, Feb 3, 8:03pm
commercial paint stripper would probably be easier. They dip it in large baths and clean it up for you.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/ymq3/dip-stripping-furniture-restoration

mrploppy, Feb 3, 8:27pm
http://www.easypaintstripping.co.nz/default.aspx
I have used this product and found it much easier to use than other strippers. Gives a decent guide on how to use the product as well.

kcc55a, Feb 3, 8:30pm
Thanks for that - I'll check it out.

kcc55a, Feb 3, 8:57pm
yes same product as mentioned in #9 was planning to check that out.

macandrosie, Feb 4, 5:51am
Could you take it to someone who could plunge it into an acid bath? Or paint stripper & a wirebrush or a metal pot scrub then wash off with water.

kcc55a, Feb 4, 10:25pm
I could do your first suggestion but the cost of doing that would be quite high because of the size of the Coffee table so that would partly defeat the purpose of the exercise. Doing it cheaply!
It seems using the best stripper, wire wool and much elbow grease is the best solution

zak410, Feb 4, 11:34pm
acid bath can destroy some glues.

max.headroom, Jul 23, 5:46am
Try meths and a mild scrubbing brush,,the meths should dissolve the old finish, only do a 200mm sq at a time,and remove the sludge as you go, meths evaporates quickly not allowing the wood to swell plus the renants of varnish seals it, DONT get it dipped ,Dont use a wire brush ,,,If you are going to try the other suggestions ,,do a little trial sq 1st