Macrocarpa outdoor table - coating options?

karlp2, Dec 19, 9:18am
Hi, just in the process of building an outdoor macrocarpa table, what is the coating that you commonly see that gives it that golden colour? I'm aware that I can oil it, stain, or clear coat but I'm seeking recommendations on what will give it that golden appearance. Thanks

gonehunting, Dec 19, 9:47am
Maybe get some little test pots of stain etc. Paint underneath where it won't be seen and pick which one you prefer. If food is on there maybe think about what surface you want. re polyurethane. The golden colour is usually the type of timber that the coating will enhance.

hulloitsme, Dec 19, 9:52am
Boiled linseed oil.

articferrit, Dec 19, 10:32am
I used liberon finishing oil on mine.

mggd, Dec 19, 10:39am
I left ours, it is now a white colour, 10 yrs old and haven't had to touch it in that time. I know it wont last forever.

karlp2, Dec 19, 11:05am
Thanks, that's really helpful. Now have confidence with what I need to get.

karlp2, Dec 19, 11:14am
There's two types of Boiled linseed oil, brown and raw - which is best for the golden colour I'm seeking?

omamari, Dec 19, 11:50am
There are actually two types - boiled or raw. You need to use boiled linseed. Raw linseed is harder to use and will leave a skin if you don't wipe it off soon enough.
I mix turps 50/50 with the first coat of boiled linseed, seems to help the oil penetrate.

happychappy50, Dec 19, 12:31pm
^^^^^

This,have used boiled linseed for ages,mixed with turps as the turps will carry it into the timber on its own it has trouble penetrating & is still sticky

diddlypop, Dec 19, 1:20pm
x1
Forest wood Deck and Furniture oil - natural pine. Beautiful golden colour on our new macrocarpa outdoor table and chairs. Bought the set at Christmas last year and have just re oiled it. Looks just like new.

ebygum1, Dec 19, 1:46pm
This is what I use, I give it six coats, wiped on with a rag. If you want to poly over the oil I also brush on six coats. Lasts for years, just a pointer, when using rags to apply oil do not leave them screwed up, when you have finished each coat hang them up outside, they are prone to bursting into flames otherwise. Good luck.

karlp2, Jan 25, 5:18pm
Thanks, that's great