Table top finish

blans, Nov 11, 9:31pm
I have almost finished building a dining table from recycled Matai,i really want an oiled finish but in the past i have used teak oil on a small side table and it has marked with a hot cup,Any help and suggestions awaited.

doug57, Nov 11, 9:33pm
Suggestion for getting rid of hot cup mark?.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-water-stains-or-heat-
burns-on-wood-finishes/
Have tried the ironing method and it worked well :-)

blans, Nov 11, 9:42pm
Not really , types of oil finish that wont mark but thanks for the tip.

omamari, Nov 12, 4:04pm
I've used danish oil, several coats and then beeswax on my totara table. It can withstand hot cups of tea, red wine spillos and anything else you can throw at it

ceebee2, Nov 12, 5:40pm
+1 and I have also used 1200 grit sandpaper to "rub the oil in" which gives a beautiful finish. The more coats the hardier it is.

omamari, Nov 12, 6:14pm
I use wire wool to rub it in

blans, Nov 12, 7:42pm
When you say several,how many is that.How long between aplications. Is it pure bees wax and how do you apply. I have used bees wax before on the lathe as a friction polish to melt it in

omamari, Nov 13, 7:33am
I use Briwax furniture wax, available at my local paint shop. Several coats rubbed in with 0000 grade wire wool.
Instructions on the tin. Buff with soft cloth. For a really brilliant shine you can buff with a sheepskin pad on a grinder

budgel, Feb 15, 2:50am
Having had similar problems to yours, I now use several thin coats of polyurethane satin and then buff with a polishing wax. It doesnt look like it is on top of the wood, which is what I dont like about many modern coatings.