Glass to protect wooden table.

lindyjack, Feb 27, 10:02pm
We are looking at purchasing a new dining suite and are wondering about also getting a sheet of glass to protect the wooden table top. Has anyone ever done this and if so.
Any idea of cost table 1000 wide x 1800 long
Pros and cons of doing this.

impressions, Feb 27, 11:05pm
i inquired about a piece of glass for my coffee table. Was told it had to be safety glass at around $500! Didn't do it.

wasgonna, Feb 27, 11:11pm
Yep, will cost more than the table then you end up putting a table cloth on the top to stop the noise of plates, utensils, etc on the glass.

viking60, Feb 28, 12:35am
We had this done for our previous Rimu dining table. I didn't like the orangey colour so had tinted glass cut. It was an oval 8 seater. It has to be quite thick and the edges bevelled so wasn't cheap. About $400 15 years ago.

devine-spark, Feb 28, 12:42am
I have and it is a good idea.

gillywilly2, Feb 28, 10:12am
You should be able to obtain a 5mm toughened glass Flat polished edges for around max $420 GST incl

ozglenn, Mar 1, 11:03pm
Unless the laws have changed(have left nz) a fully supported table top glass does not need to be toughened,fully supported means it sits on a flat table,unsupported needs to be toughened as they generally only sit on four posts or similar

landylass, Mar 2, 10:05am
I have an 8 seater table and wish I had done it. People drop keys and all sorts on it. Having a table cloth hasn't protected it.

imagine4, Mar 2, 7:33pm
I got glass for my dinnng table. 3ft by 3ft. $400 last year. it has to be safety glass. well worth it if you want to protect the table

aloha3, Mar 3, 12:30am
ring a glass company for a quote

daryl14, Mar 5, 8:12pm
Wonders what a glass dining table costs at target furniture.

daryl14, Mar 5, 8:31pm
Looks at new solid wood dining table made from rough textured recycled wood sitting in dining room and thinks no, I wouldn't pay money to cover that up.

cwag, Mar 11, 2:46am
Re pricing - I always wonder when I see this sort of question why people don't just ring a glass company for a quote. They can advise what is required by law and can give you an exact price.Must be a better idea than reading that somebody had something similar done years ago and what it cost them then. Just a thought.

starseeker, Mar 11, 5:45am
Some years ago we covered our table with glass. Every time a child spilt liquid on it, even just a little bit, the liquid would 'track' under the glass & stay there. Since the glass sat firmly in touch with the table it wasn't possible to wipe up this mess, it looked disgusting. I got rid of the glass.

mrfxit, Mar 11, 7:22pm
MY mother taught me . .

When covering a table with a "table cloth", also place a suitable size bed blanket under it FIRST.

Makes for a nice surface & protects the table from all but the nasty pointed bangs/drops AND of course both are fully washable.

jetjoan, Apr 28, 11:50pm
i have a white lace table cloth and got some clear plastic from all cheap 2 dollar shop, does the job well,just have it longer than the table. you buy by the metre

tui93, Apr 29, 3:19am
My future hubby used to have glass on his tables ( a real good thick coat of poly our joiner friend used to joke), and my son dropped his glass on one the first time we visited and it cracked right across. When we married we removed the other one before any harm was done, and got epoxy resin on them.

paix1, Jan 22, 5:58am
. same here! Well worth the outlay! Just make sure your table can take the extra weight - especially if you are moving it (by dragging rather than lifting)