Grow your own coffee

paislydoll, Nov 15, 11:54pm
any one done it! how many trees would I need!

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 15, 11:55pm
How many acres have you got!

paislydoll, Nov 16, 12:00am
I just want to grow for my own meager use. not supply a small country, I was told they do well indoors in pots.and have many dwarf fruit trees,just didnt want to go there if I was needing double digets just for a brew.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 16, 12:04am
It's like asking how long is a piece of string. How many beans you consume per cup x how many cups in a year = total beans required. Divide that by the average beans harvestable per plant and you'll get a rough idea. I think you'll find the answer is Too Many for Pots.

Worse luck.

paislydoll, Nov 16, 12:06am
thanks for that. Have you tried growing your own, or just not into it!

cwnda, Nov 16, 2:20am
Yeah - I tried it some years ago in pots but never had any success with the berries. I read somewhere they only fruit properly if they are within about 30° of the equator.

biggles45, Nov 16, 2:48am
Tried it when we lived in Franklin and it wasn't a success. It certainly needs a warmer climate than that!

schnauzer11, Nov 16, 3:32am
I saw some plants at Oderings last week.

ro42, Nov 16, 3:38am
There are some people growing it successfullyhere http://www.permaculture.org.nz/showOneQA.php!qnum=135 Kaitaia and Gisborne. Fielding probably gets too cold in winter.

paislydoll, Nov 19, 3:15am
mmmm. might re think if thats really the way to go then.

cantabman1, Nov 19, 10:40pm
Yep, Oderings have the plants as Schnauzer says, but you will never get a crop here as the temps are far too cold; so much for global warming, its more like global cooling down our way as its colder than narmal for the second year in a row for this time of year.

alford2, Nov 9, 5:48pm
Quite a nice pot plant though and you might be lucky and grow enough for a feature cup once a year. Have grown them inside as such.