Best cordless drill?

Page 1 / 3
puppetman, Jan 30, 9:03pm
I am thinking about getting a cordless drill to replace the one that has finally died. Not a lot of use and just odd jobs (and normal jobs) ;) around the house. Thoughts!

puppetman, Jan 30, 9:03pm
As with so many things there is such a variety out there. Cost is an issue, but don't want something that will crap out 1 month after warranty ends. lol

rsr72, Jan 30, 9:06pm
- Hitachi.

velenski, Jan 30, 9:55pm
dewalt ,not cheap .

zak410, Jan 30, 10:02pm
Bosh, cheap (about $100) and good for infrequent use,
always ready to go, the batteries keep charged a long time, even when not used often.

rsr72, Jan 30, 10:13pm
Have just thrown out an as brand-new condition, hardly used, made in Switzerland, 18V Bosch cordless drill because the two battery packs stopped holding a charge.
Their thieving charges for replacement parts made it uneconomic to replace them, so I bought a Hitachi.

cantabman1, Jan 30, 10:17pm
Buy the cheapest brand name drill for what you are doing, and when it eventually fails at little cost, then buy another.

zak410, Jan 30, 10:26pm
Those ones always have flat batteries when you need them.

velenski, Jan 30, 10:28pm
my dewalt is going strong still after 7 years of heavy use ,nights spent left out in the rain ,dropped of ladders ,i have used and repaired most of the brands and dewalt are the best.

ang_ck, Jan 30, 10:34pm
I agree with with the above statement. Unless you are tradesman, your usage is minimal.I recently paid for the cheapest heatgun from Bunnings, happy as larry.

ro42, Jan 31, 12:29am
Saw a new Black & decker gadget in Mitre 10 yesterday. Basically it's a cordless hand-held set with interchangeable tools so it can be a drill, a sander, an oscillating tool, a jigsaw etc etc. The basic kit with 2 batteries was $199, but then each tool is only about $50. Struck me as a pretty good idea.

locoloco, Jan 31, 5:59am
I checked out Consumer tests andrecommendations and bought a Ryobi.Came with two batteries and was on special at Bunnings.So far great.

hutchk, Jan 31, 6:16am
Take out a small mortgage and buy a Hilti.

countrybumpkinz, Jan 31, 6:46am
love my Bosh, just goes and goes.

murphy_rox, Jan 31, 6:50am
makita, always reliable, cost a bit but bloody good gear.

net_oz, Jan 31, 7:02am
What a dumbarse statement. You know it will always fail when you need it most so why bother!
Black and Decker or Worx are pretty good for not much more than $100.

killer16, Jan 31, 8:49am
<My 24volt drill is quite o`kay, all I need is the charger to charge the battery. Does anyone have a charger suitable for this job!

favouriteseller, Jan 31, 9:21am
it all depends how much use
not much = buy cheapest
so not a dumb move

zak410, Jan 31, 9:57am
yes dumb
because: no much use + cheapest one = flat batteries every time you want to use the thing.

cantabman1, Jan 31, 8:42pm
Being ignorant and rude, still doesnt make you right in what you have not said.
1: I did say a brand name
2: who's to say it will fail when you go to use it. Now that is ignorant and a stupid thing to state.
3: The OP said it was only for around the house withonly little use, so why on earth would you go out and spend a lot of money for nothing.
4: As an ex retailer and owner of an appliance store, i believe I have a little more knowledge in these matters than you.

tigra, Jan 31, 9:05pm
So its only temporarily OK! (if you dont get a charger)

tigra, Jan 31, 9:06pm
Black and Decker did this years ago with drill, sander and garden shears. unfortunately the battery wasnt up to it.

eagles9999, Jan 31, 9:11pm
Absolutely agree. I have a cheapieWarehouse "Fire Brand" and have been really pleased with how long it keeps a charge. Bought it 4 years ago and still going strong.Also its not hard to keep the batteries charged on cheapies so they arent flat when you go to use them. Thats a pathetic reaspon for a casual DIYer to spenda lot of money on something he only uses 4 or 5 times a year.

pestri, Jan 31, 9:41pm
Black & Decker offeran 18v for under $100, two batteries and a five year guarantee.IMO good value, 18v is superior in most ways to 12 or 14v.

daryl14, Feb 1, 12:43am
I got a supercheep drill a few years ago. It still goes but it isn't up to drilling steel or high torque low speed stuff like driving screws.

Even for a diy'er I reckon you will regret not having a good grunty drill.