Best cordless drill?

Page 2 / 3
gkgirl, Feb 1, 1:39am
I never really understood why people NEED a cordless drill unless they are a farmer.

Wouldn't a corded drill be more powerful and cheaper! Just wondering.

eezy1, Feb 1, 3:36am
When buy a cordless drill esp if they are on sale check the dates on the battery/drill as they are often old stock and the batterys are getting close to being shagged

eezy1, Feb 1, 3:37am
corded are good if you use it in one place :)

taipan4, Feb 1, 4:58am
go out for aday with any tradie, sparky, plumber , builder, handyman
etc, what a statement to make, obviously not a user of tools

gkgirl, Feb 1, 5:36am
Shows what you know. I have an awesome hitachi I bought for myself, about 186$, described as a good painters drill. Have always had power points near enough not to need batteries, and I bet most of you don't need them either.

oldschool78, Feb 1, 8:08am
Get a cheaper one with a lithium battery, if its just for odd jobs.

ryanm2, Feb 1, 8:50am
Yeah thats it, every tradesmen or women is an idiot for buying battery drills.
Im a sparky, I need a power operated drill if im doing a prewire,or drilling through concrete. Pretty much the battery drill covers every other application.

asa50, Feb 1, 9:22am
There are many things that we do not "need", such as indoor plumbing but I adore the convenience that it provides, the same with applies to power tools.

gypsymeg, Feb 1, 9:04pm
getan18vxuifrombunnings38$haveused theseforlast15 yearsin homeworkshopandhavestoodthe testoftimedoing allmannerofjobs

tezw1, Feb 1, 9:15pm
H&S is another reason to use cordless tools. When you have to get your corded tools tested every 3 months, having 4 tools running off the one charger reduces costs. Also reduces trip hazards with fewer power cords running around the site.
Makatia have a DIY brand now, saw it a Mitre 10 the other day. Personally have found that Hatcihi have lasted well at a cheaper price than Makatia

taipan4, Feb 2, 12:14am
oh bollocks I might work in 6 or more different jobs each day not going to run a extension lead out to put in 6 tech screws or square drives, I was probably using cordless drill while you were in nappys

velenski, Feb 2, 1:14am
i was a sparky and i never owned a corded drill (never would) my dewalt could do everything and you are'nt always near a socket outlet.

taipan4, Feb 2, 8:18am
OH YEA SO YOUR'e gunna tote a corded drill & a lead thru the prewire to fix all ya flush boxes on yea right whatever

taipan4, Feb 2, 8:25am
exactly my point "gkgirl" uses a cordeddrill to mix paint in one spot for the whole day, but feels the need to ram her/his opinion down
someone elses throat that battery drills are a waste of time, the ratio of use
for me is battery drill 85/15 for corded, as most of my work is maintenance

pestri, Feb 2, 8:37am
A painters drill!

russ18, Feb 2, 8:49am
Pretty much the same, have a 36v Dewalt which does virtually everything except for larger masonry drilling for which I have a cheap Ozito mains drill / breaker.
I do have a small mains drill but that's only been out of my van twice in the past 5 years.

eezy1, Feb 2, 8:56am
i use a corded to mix plaster but would hate to have to drag a lead around the house while working on my stilts just to put a few screws in or pull them out :)

russ18, Feb 2, 9:05am
You would soon get sick of dragging extension leads under houses and in attics just to drill a couple of holes when a good battery drill is more than capable.
Sometimes as a sparky we are working on getting the power connected to a property or working on a switchboard where it's preferable to have the power off.

taipan4, Feb 2, 6:20pm
case in point "russ 18"working on a "zealite" switchboard (the old black ones with the dreaded asbestos in them) so you need the power off to work on them, drill holes etc, so a corded drill becomes redundant really.

tarant, Feb 2, 8:13pm
I've got a little inexpensive Ozito from Bunnings, it doesn't have that big clunking battery at the base but instead, a small lithium that plugs inside the handle. Comes with 2 batteries, charger and basic bits and even after months of non use has charge in it to do the little jobs.

tigra, Feb 2, 8:20pm
The XU1'schargerspack up very easily. The drills seem to work OK though the performance varies a lot. However the chargers dont. last.

ryanm2, Feb 3, 3:11am
x1
um drilling 25mm holes for through the studs and noggins for the prewire, or are you one of these sparky's that drills 13mm holes, crams them full of cable so if another sparky ever has to use one as a draw wire they can't!

trademerob, Feb 3, 3:28am
Any and all battery's will only last three years. If you use them every day or once in a while. I'm a tradey and this is my take on 25 years of having to use them. They ALL have a shelf life.

russ18, Feb 3, 3:32am
Had mine 5 years and still going strong.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 3, 4:34am
had mine 12 years.Just decided to buy another today as it wasn't keeping full charge more than a few screws in.Got a ryobi 18volt lithium.