Cordless power tools

Page 1 / 2
marsh07, Mar 12, 7:56pm
I'm looking at started off a collection of cordless power tools, some for woodworking hobby and some for the garden, would be nice to keep it all to the one brand so can you batteries for everything. Have anyone got suggestion with brand, brush over brushless ?

gunhand, Mar 12, 8:49pm
What sort of budget? they range from $30 to $3000. What frequency of use and duration? What do expect from the tools? Can you justify spending $500 on a drill you drill once a week for 10 minutes or will you work its arse off?
Are you into looking good in front of your DIY mates or just want the tool to do the job? I have several of one brand that some say is rubbish yet they have exceeded my expectation over and over and many on here have had a budget brand and been quite surprised at how good it is.
Now, you can not go and buy a $50 drill and think you can use it on a job sight day in day out as it will no doubt pop its cherry quite quick but if you want to drill one hole a week it may be fine.

mrfxit, Mar 12, 9:53pm
For home handyman work, the latest generation of XU1 Bunnings drills are very good.
Really impressed with my 18v lithium drill for $57

dublo, Mar 12, 10:02pm
Some years ago my son bought me a B and D 18 volt drill, good for woodworking jobs but not, as expected, up to drilling sizeable holes in steel.
Recently I found the batteries won't hold heir charge for very long - if I go to use the drill a week or two after charging a battery I find there is very little power left in it. Don't know, yet, whether I can buy suitable batteries for this drill.

golfdiver, Mar 12, 10:07pm
We absolutely terrorise our de Walt gear and it’s been really good. The brushless seems to be lasting well. Priced pretty well these days, and they do an interchangeable 54 volt model. Highly recommend

pauldw, Mar 13, 2:16am
First thing to do would be to find a brand that did both woodworking tools (easy) and garden (less common).

reb53, Mar 13, 6:51pm
Bought some of this stuff the other day but too soon to see how it holds up, but they do have a 3 year warranty on the batteries so should have time to find out.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/our-range/brands/o/ozito

ryanm2, Mar 13, 7:27pm
Go AEG - priced well enough at bunnings.

flancrest, Mar 13, 8:19pm
Never had any issues with the Bosch Proffessional range.

supernova2, Mar 13, 9:40pm
Ive got a Ryobi one+ drill and its been tortured since day one and its about 3 years old now and still going strong. I don't think they were designed to use on a 120mm hole saw but it does it. Batteries might be starting to loose a bit of capacity but I figure for what it cost when it dies in can go in the bin (er PC correct make that recycling!)

goose16, Mar 14, 12:01pm
If you want to go cheap go Bosch. If you want real tools go De Walt or Milwalkee. Run away from Ryobi.

blueviking, Mar 14, 12:36pm
Ryobi are cheap and have a 6yr warranty. Burnt out their cordless multi tool in 4 mths though.

pauldw, Mar 14, 2:02pm
BiL has Ryobi and has had no problems apart from drill chuck doesn't grip larger diameter bits as well as MUCH dearer brands. On some jobs you're more likely to have name brand tools stolen.

ianab, Mar 14, 8:25pm
If it's an older Nicad battery, you can probably pry it apart and fit new cells from China. I rebuilt my old Bosch drill for about $28 and some soldering.

The new Lithium batteries are better, but more problematic to rebuild. If you get it wrong the catch fire sort of thing. In that case you are better to go with a "system" with multiple tools and a couple of batteries. Plan on buying new batteries from time to time.

Other thing is, do you NEED cordless? Sure it's nice, especially with things like drills etc. But my 30 year old corded drill is still going strong.

androth2, Mar 14, 8:37pm
My 60 year old 1/2 inch drill still works ok. Heavy, and has had a few new power cords and a chuck replced

golfdiver, Mar 15, 5:46pm
That’ll help OP no end

flancrest, Mar 15, 9:40pm
Bosch green may be cheap, but Bosch Blue are as good, and similarly priced to Milwaukee and De Walt.

hound31, Mar 31, 2:43pm
I'm off to have a look at these. i have the same problem as the poster whose Black and Decker batteries won't even charge.

khayyam, Apr 1, 3:22pm
Don't know why but my partner will only ever use DeWalt for battery tools and old Black & Decker for corded tools.

andrew1954, Apr 2, 1:51pm
Well he is keeping it all in the family. DeWalt and Black & Decker are owned by the same company. i think B & D owns DeWalt.

easygoer, Apr 9, 9:05pm
Black and Decker and Dewalt are owned by Stanley, Dewalt was derived originally from the old Black and Decker industrial range

lettice, Apr 13, 4:07pm
I've got cordless chainsaw, pole pruner and drill. All excellent. The pole pruner and chainsaw are Stihl, and so far have down everything I have asked of them. The battery makes them heavy to use, but I prefer that to grunting away with a pull start.

xs1100, Apr 14, 7:35pm
battery tools all good till yr 3/4 of the way thru a job ad they go flat,electric or petrol get the job done and move on to the next one

flancrest, Apr 15, 7:51pm
Electric all good until the cord doesn’t reach.
Petrol all good until you run out.
Why would you not have a spare battery charged? Or Two?

thisles5, Apr 15, 8:49pm
I want hoseless running water.