Lawn edging tools

lythande1, Jun 5, 5:54pm
Any opinions on these? Or similar.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/morri. -watt/p/125288

Had a weed eater. no thanks.

Currently using hand snippers. like big scissor things. work well but it takes me ages. especially with the kikuyu.

joanie32, Jun 5, 6:12pm
Did your weed eater have the edger attachment?

That’s what I use and it’s excellent.

bucca11, Jun 5, 6:50pm
I use one of those sharp roller wheels (not sure what they are called) and I love it

coralsnake, Jun 6, 3:51am
I just sold an electric one after buying a petrol powered unit same brand due to fear of cutting the electrical cord! Saved a lot of back breaking work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Peh81vWF0

lythande1, Jun 6, 9:09am
So it works well? Handle kikuyu as well?

I don't have a weedeater and I don't want one either.

yes we had one here too (not mine), it was utterly hopeless.

amasser, Jun 6, 9:20am
A spade is effective, if not pretty.

gabbysnana, Jun 6, 9:40am
have the ryobi version, cuts through everything. We have the oz styled couch or kikuya? Cuts through that not a problem.

deboron, Jun 6, 9:43am
I use a sharp trowel and cut and edge vee, do this one a year and probably trim back once or twice more before I tidy up small trench again. Works well and yes I have kikuya too

uncle19, Jun 6, 2:04pm
36 volt ryobi edge cutter,best thing i ever brought.

dutchess46, Jun 6, 5:42pm
Have a similar one, just a cheapie from Bunnings.
Works brilliant.
Takes about 10 minutes to do 100 mtrs and makes an ex job.
You have to keep the blade tight in against the concrete to make a good job.

lythande1, Jun 6, 6:02pm
Thanks gabbysnana , uncle19.
Guess the others didn't read my question.

coralsnake, Jun 6, 7:43pm
I volunteer at nights and sleep during the day hence no comment during daylight!
I don't know what kikuyu is having only googled it! Perhaps enquire from the sales associates at Mitre10 or even flick Morrison an email?
Naturally if the blade is not sharp it doesn't cut nicely but overall does make for a relatively easy task. I use a vac to clean up anything on the concrete.

zirconium, Jun 7, 12:33pm
I've only ever used an old manual one of these, never used an electric one (I use a petrol driven weed eater due to vast quantities of the neighbours grass that needs doing, that they ignore).

From a basic understanding of watts vs grunt, my feeling is there is no way this would be grunty enough for Kikuyu.

coralsnake, Jun 7, 10:46pm
Different when you use a mechanical item [electrical or gas powered] and not long handle shears! Plus the vac has wheels so easy to push along to pick up.

anne1955, Jul 19, 5:41pm
I had and am going to find again if I can a Ortiz weedeater with the plastic cutter blade (someone has blades on here for sale and damn cheap) that was/is a electric one. (I have had to use electric things due to a disability) and the weedeater cut like any bush cutter I have seem working and was a cheap item, ex Bunnings and when I get to city next I will see if they are still available. Was amazing wizzed through tough jobs could rip holes in plastic pots left in years of growth and unseen :) Well worth it even if it's the only thing/part of garden one buys it for.