Buying tools from US do they work ok with our diff

luvthebikes, Feb 17, 8:25am
voltage, would you just change the plug & be ok to go!

liggy2, Feb 17, 8:28am
Only if they have a variable voltage switch so you can runthem on 230 volts or 220 as sometimes they are rated thus. US is only on 110 volts so no you cannot use unless the voltage can be changed.

canz, Feb 17, 9:28am
Of course the plugs are different as well, we had to buy a transformer a few years ago, cost a couple of hundred then.
When I was in the states, I check out a few power tools to bring back, cause they were so cheap, and there was no switch to change volts, so check that before you buy and pay the shocking postage they charge.

tillsbury, Feb 17, 10:31am
Tools almost certainly not.Only low-power devices like computer chargers and stuff is likely to be multi-voltage.Power tools in the US are generally lower powered as they can't draw that much more current and only have half the voltage (since the wattage is the product).But you certainly can't shove 240V through them unless they've been designed for it, which would be unusual.

coralsnake, Feb 17, 11:18am
NO!
The US used 110v/60Hz whilst NZ uses 230v/50Hz.
Whilst you can use a step-down transformer, they more often than not, run hot and will burn out quicker.Whilst you can step down the voltage, you cannot alter the Hz.
There is no warranty on them either to fall back on.

Step-down transformers can cost a bomb depending on the watt/amp of the unit.

If you have any idea of the watt/amp of the tools you are looking at, please post and I'll do a step-down transformer rating for you.
You would be horrified at the cost of even a 500w std.

I priced a 2000 watt one recently; from memory it came back as nearly $600 which I could not justify spending when I can buy a NZ off the shelf equivalent for a way lot less!

russ18, Feb 17, 8:04pm
smaller appliances are 120v but larger ones are 240v, both 60Hz.

supernova2, Feb 18, 5:49am
Could be wrong but I thought the 240v yanky stuff was items like washing machines and fridges.Wouldn't have thought that hand tools would be anything other than 110.

I can't think of one reason why you would want to try and buy electrical tools from the states for use in NZ.

coralsnake, Mar 13, 3:07pm
We used to have a literal mile of [domestic] power tools and all were 110v which is why they stayed in the US.Just not worth bringing them.

Re 220v in the US, yes, driers, ranges, larger window/wall ac units etc are 220v.You won't find a range with power outlets built onto it!
Most fridges and washers are 110v.

Some 110v table lamps I brought down cannot be rewired.Not just the wiring but the fitting and it cannot be replaced with a kiwi one.I have to use small sd transformers however where once upon a time 110v light bulbs were available, they are no longer so I am down to the last one.