I need a second cordless drill

donz01, Jan 10, 1:54am
I got given a new B&D Matrix drill. 18V with 2 batteries and a charger as well as 1 jig saw and 1 circular saw attachment. I used it when I replaced my complete kitchen and it worked really well. Since then I have got various other attachments for it as well which include impact drill , sabre saw, and router. $60 each from an orange place. I do a lot of alloy sheetmetal work so use the circular saw and router nearly on a daily basis to cut and trim 3mm alloy. I was never a B&D fan but it has lasted since labour weekend 2014 with no problems.

ashpot, Dec 17, 6:31am
I have an 18v drill, but I'm sick of taking the drill bit out and putting in the driver bit to do screwing.
I see cordless impact drivers are designed for screwing, as they have more torque, but the models I've looked at state they do xxxx amount of impacts per minute. This is not a feature I need, as I just want to screw in wood screws etc.
What's better; impact driver or second 18v drill?

Thanks

golfdiver, Dec 17, 6:54am
Impies are primarily suited to roofing, a driver drill is more what you need

m16d, Dec 17, 7:05am
Just get another one the same. well anyway that's what I did.

stevo2, Dec 17, 7:27am
Impact drivers are soooo orsum. I use mine for all screwing and rarely use my Drill/Driver. Makita 18 volt Lithium.

_atomant_, Dec 17, 7:33am
Im a sparky and use my impact driver ALL the time, for screwing you cannot beat them.

franken1, Dec 17, 7:35am
You don't even need an 18v for use as a screwdriver. I had an 18v for drilling today and a 14v Bosch for screwing. Did the job no problem.
If buying a second also consider matching it to your existing drill. Gives you plenty of spare batteries then.

ryanm2, Dec 17, 8:22am
nah - sparkies use there impact just as much as there drills these days. Mounting flush boxes, (mounting anything really), work around cabinetry etc. The secret is to get a decent no.2 that doesn't round off so longer screws in particular dont fall off when screwing.
I think GFB do the best driver bits.

ashpot, Dec 17, 9:04am
I already have two 4Ah batteries which seem to stay charged for ages.
I was thinking of getting a 'skin'. I've got Dewalt.
Mitre 10 had a really good deal on a Dewalt combo but they sold out real fast.

ashpot, Dec 17, 9:11am
Do they actually make impact vibrations while screwing? Or does it do this when the torque is reached?
The hardware stores only have demo ones to feel the grip etc, but none to try out.

franken1, Dec 17, 3:29pm
When the torque is reached. I prefer the Irwin impact bits. They also do a range of bit extensions that work a treat.

mm12345, Dec 17, 7:56pm
It would have to be a small screw in a loose hole for the impact action to not kick in. You need to get used to using them - once you get used to trigger action and preferably with a brushless impact driver the motor speed control, then they're actually less likely to snap 6 or 8mm stainless screws than a drill-driver, but on the other hand with a hex to 3/8 socket adapter, drive 10mm coach bolts which a drill driver either won't do, or even if it could would wrench itself out of your hands and topple you off a ladder etc.
If OP has DeWalt 18V drill and batteries, then it's almost a no-brainer to get a DeWalt impact driver skin, with proviso that the variable speed/torque brushless models are a bit pricey (ie $250 or so skin only).

dingo011, Dec 17, 10:43pm
I bought the B & D 18 volt drill and impact combo that was on special at the Orange shed a couple of weeks ago. Have just re gibed the lounge and two bedrooms at home and haven't used the drill yet. I love the control on the impact so much. As per a earlier post I have a magnetic adapter in the chuck and swap hex shank drill bits and hex drivers when required. One tool in one place, hate climbing off a ladder to swap tools over. P.S for a cheap bit of kit the B & D gear hasn't missed a beat. For $120 happy to throw away and replace once job is finished. I somehow think this will not happen though.

ryanm2, Dec 18, 3:23am
It was the bottom of the range brushless drill / driver and the impact. For another $140 electrical wholesalers had a free skin of choice not long ago.

ashpot, Dec 18, 6:18am
Thanks people. I will ask santa for an impact driver.

golfdiver, Mar 30, 2:48pm
There is a bloke in Wellington who parallel imports de Walt and is much cheaper than the merchants. He has a full service set up too.
iTools. He is on here too. Very reliable