New Black and Decker Drill Problems

onion5, Jan 24, 11:05pm
Black and decker gave me a brand new drill so that was a good out come, i spoke to another mitre 10 guy and his drills were a bit like mine so all good , apparently Dewalt are made by Black and Decker just a bit upper market. Thanks for help

sumstyle, Jan 25, 9:37am
Excellent outcome

onion5, Dec 28, 6:19am
I recently purchased a new Lithium 18volt black and decker drill off Mitre 10 mega and noticed the base of the chuck was out of round . i took it back and another new one in a box did just the same . today i tryed to use it and the out of roundness is quite noticeable when drilling some thing as it sends a vibration up in to the drill casing. back to shop and they tryed a Dewalt for comparison which was ok. It has been sent back to the factory for checking ,but if they say it is up to their standards i don't want it back, i'm not sure how i stand with getting my money back, and i don't particularly want to pay another $100 extra for some thing better, all i want is it to do what it was designed to do which i think is fair. Has any one else had a similar problem with this band or any other brands.?

sumstyle, Dec 28, 7:00am
I just bought one of those today, but I haven't opened it yet. What I *think* you're saying is that when the drill piece spins (lets just say it's a 10mm bit) the hole is more than 10mm cos the bit is spinning off centre?

But if I've got that wrong, please explain to me in simpler terms what the problem is, and I'll go check mine.

onion5, Dec 29, 12:07am
Hi sorry i see where i wasn't clear, the drill bit spins fine and not off centre, but the base of the chuck is off centre , and sends a vibration up into the drill housing. If you hold something straight at the base of the chuck with it turning mine is out of round.

sumstyle, Dec 29, 4:33am
Tried it this afternoon, and I can't see that I am getting any vibration. I'm hoping I would notice as I have a fractured elbow at present, so I'm more sensitive to jarring/vibration.

This is a B&D Matrix 18v lithium drill.

onion5, Dec 29, 4:37am
Thanks, can't remember what model mine was , it cost $199 and they give you 1 spare battery if you send a way a form to B.D by 31.12.2014. Good to know yours is ok, hope they can sort mine.

sumstyle, Dec 29, 4:54am
Yeah sounds like the same one. How maddening that you've had troubles with them.

socram, Dec 29, 4:55am
Sounds like a manufacturing batch fault? Mine is a couple of years old and is fine. The only problem I now have is that I can't tighten the keyless chuck enough, as I have a duff left hand, so have to use a pair of grips!

Just had a Ryobi for Christmas, as I hate this lark about batteries going out of date with every model you buy. I doubt that Ryobi would dare discontinue the current battery fitting (30+) for a fair time!

Incidentally, I still have a 35 year old B & D metal body drill, bought as a reconditioned unit.

sumstyle, Dec 29, 9:32am
Yeah I have my father's old B&D metal body drill, with a nice over-sized chuck on it. Pretty old I reckon, but it's been excellent for using with the big bits I use to put holes in my limestone.Only trouble is the the damn limestone dust does a number on it - I need to remember to use compressed air to clean it off.

Needless to say, it's not cordless, nor is it lightweight!

onion5, Sep 1, 7:24pm
Thanks for those replys i had a 12 volt Band D cordless and it lasted 13 yrs but battery gave out, i would still use it but for that. i bought in 1980 a Hitachi Electric drill and it has been fantastic . like a lot of things things arn't made to the quality they usewd to be a lot to do with price maybe.