Identify mystery drill

aprilguy, Jun 9, 8:36pm
Anyone know the model number of the drill in this pic:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1554777674.jpg
It looks like a Makita. The closest I could find was 6300NB but there are some big differences, note there is no attachment for a side support and no speed dial/hammer switch. There is a strange knob in the front section though, not sure about its function. Also the white/green colour scheme must be rare, I could not find a similar pic on google.

pheonix, Jun 9, 8:58pm
Bosch and Wolf have produced power tools in a similar colour as well at some stage.May be worth a search. Certainly can't remember any with a white front sorry)
(Colour I was meaning was the blue/green one)

joanie04, Jun 9, 9:04pm
Older Ryobi were also that colour. I remember a belt sander of that colour around here a few years back.

muppet_slayer, Jun 9, 9:57pm
Maybe it's to lock the chuck so it can be tightened properly. Push it in while turning the chuck by hand and it might locate in a slot or a hole which will lock it from turning. That's my guess.

aprilguy, Jun 9, 10:18pm
Muppet-slayer - Thanks, I think that's right. Pulling out the knob locks the chuck in one direction. Such an unusual knob.
It seems like a side support must have looped over the chuck as there is no thread for one and the drill is too heavy to use without a support.

macman26, Jun 9, 10:51pm
Looks like one my father had a long time ago.
The button you will find is low and high gear. Push in or pull out.
Looks a lot like an old Makita with the painted front. The extra handle from memory is as clamped around the front just below the chuck.

msigg, Jun 10, 5:30am
macman26 is correct, don't use it without the extra handle, wrist breaker.

jenny188, Jun 16, 8:32pm
Wolf wre american ( i think from memory) and mostly grey. Mikiita and Bosh were green. My pick mikita 3/;8.

pheonix, Jun 16, 11:29pm
Wolf were English. Produced a lot of metal cases but did use colours later. eg
https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTA5MlgxNjAw/z/WFoAAOSwikxgR9Ep/$/Vintage-WOLF-SAPPHIRE-Drill-3684-HEAVY-DUTY-_57.jpg

tygertung, Jun 17, 8:00am
My father has a massive Wolf circular saw, and I have an enormous Wolf angle grinder. You have to be pretty strong just to lift the thing. Not like those USA toy grinders.

bill1451, Jun 17, 8:06am
you dont really see the big nine inch grinders much now as like "Popeye" you need to at a lot of spinach to lift em.
Most handymen and workshops use the 125mm or 5 inch, more versatile easier to use, with grinding,cutting and flap discs.

aprilguy, Jun 17, 12:43pm
It looks exactly like this hammer drill, only 1 pic on this expired auction though. How can I test if its a hammer drill? I drilled through wood and it felt normal.
https://picclick.co.uk/FULLY-WORKING-Vintage-MAKITA-Hammer-Drill-240v-MAINS-323485531415.html

macman26, Jun 17, 1:57pm
I can’t remember if these had a hammer function or not. I remember one drill had a little butterfly you would turn on the gearbox. Perhaps was one like this🤔

tygertung, Jul 17, 6:09pm
I just checked, and my one is only a 7". but it isn't a boy's or a girl's grinder, really much more of a man's or woman's grinder. It is pretty heavy, pretty powerful and has quite a strong gyroscopic effect when cranked up.