Cordless lawnmowers?

mbi15, Oct 23, 3:22pm
I currently pay someone to do my lawns but at 52 per fortnight I'm wondering about buying a cordless lawnmower and me or my teenage girls could mow it.

Does anyone have experience with cordless mowers (I don't want a mower with pull cord as I can never start them).

The lawn is approx 500m2 I think (guess) mostly flatish

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

tygertung, Oct 23, 3:34pm
Some motor mowers have a starter motor.

Don't know much about electric mowers though sorry.

mouse265, Oct 23, 4:52pm
we got one and found you keep the battery on the charge when not in use or it will lose its charge and they a very eek moter so we gave up on it and called in the contractor it works out better for us s if we are away the lawns look tidy and the contractor is another pair of eyes at your home

gpg58, Oct 23, 5:47pm
Had a little enviromower for years, still going great, but did put new batteries in it when i got it secondhand. Got a second one as well on here, paid under $100 with recent new batteries(so i would have a spare battery, but never needed it for my approx 100sqm's, even when mowed 4-5 times between charges).
The manual clearly warns against leaving on the charger (for those mowers), as it is not a fully auto one, so will stuff the gel cell (lead acid) batteries very quick indeed, if left on it.
As long as grass is mowed before its too long, or done in multiple depth cuts, it cuts just fine, was a bit surprised at first.
But have been looking at the AEG one lately, as my hand tools use those batteries too.
But have noticed that they only have similar power in batteries as my current 2 x 12v 12 ah ones - versus its 2 x 18volt 6 ah, (unless you get the 58v model which has 2 x 58v 4ah equals double the battery power, which seems much better value at only $150 more).

omamari, Oct 23, 5:51pm
Our neighbour , a woman in her 50's has a Stihl cordless mower. It handles her lawn a piece of cake, it wouldn't be 500 sq m but it is kikuyu.
The beauty of it is that you can use the battery for other garden tools.

gpg58, Oct 23, 6:14pm
Just noticed the stihl mower (currently on special at $674) says "Mowing Area Up to 400m2 (with recommended battery). Comes with AK 30 (= 180 watt hours), which again is similar size to my enviromower in watt hours(mines 240), so the 58v aeg on that basis, should be good for up to 900sqm, using both batteries(460 watt hours).
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/aeg-58v-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p3381205?utm_source=Lasoo&utm_medium=catalogue&utm_campaign=BunningsCatalogueNZ

Another option might be just getting a spare battery with the stihl ($175)

davidt4, Oct 23, 8:44pm
We've just bought a Stihl electric mower and upgraded to the larger capacity battery. Total cost was around $1050. It mows the whole of a 1000 sq m section on a single charge, starts immediately and is really easy to push.

ian1990, Oct 23, 10:17pm

electromic, Oct 23, 10:19pm
If I had to go cordless, I would buy Stihl, Lawnmaster, Masport (in that order). 500m2 is not that big but you may need two batteries or a big capacity one. I know a commercial lawnmowing contractor that used environ mowers for ten years. She has just upgraded to Stihll cordless for everything.

mbi15, Oct 24, 6:37am
Thank you, can you tell me which make/model you bought, ill pop into out stihl shop and have a chat today if I can

davidt4, Oct 24, 8:34am
Stihl RMA443C. The Stihl shop was very helpful and lent us two different models to take home and try out, this was the slightly more expensive one.

amasser, Oct 24, 8:40am
Could buy a push mower and get exercise without paying for a gym. Paying the girls should be cheaper than $52.

snork28, Oct 24, 9:59am

lovelurking, Oct 24, 11:49am
We bought one of those a few seasons ago now and everyone loves it. We have since bought the weed eater and hedge trimmer because they are easy to use, light weight, and quiet too.
Thoroughly recommend that E Go brand.

m16d, Oct 24, 11:56am
Battery mowers are overpriced gutless wonders.
If you dont want a petrol one, get a corded one.
Like this. I made my own.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1423167198.jpg

gpg58, Oct 24, 5:13pm
Reminds me of the Mash theme song "Suicide is painless"
Love the unprotected capacitor terminals, and lack of a gland on power cable entry, to stop it being pulled out and seal properly, add in the hassle, as with all mains power tools, of constantly watching the lead is not getting in the way, umm think i will pass on that idea thanks. (really do hope, you only use it on an earth leakage protected circuit)

Ps, i had an electric start petrol, before the enviro mowers, but battery was always flat when i went to use it anyway, and was too small to crank it over properly, so usually wouldn't start even if charged.
I too would never use anything but battery power now, on a small to medium lawn.

trogedon, Oct 25, 1:28pm
I got a corded Ryobi mower second hand here. Our section is just under 600sqm so I got two 25 m cords. It's powerful and effective ;-)

kacy5, Oct 25, 1:59pm
I rarely have to charge my battery and have had the mower for a few years. It's great and ploughs through long grass well. Put some petrol in, turn the key and away it goes but it wasn't a cheap one, I bought it from a mower shop where there was a good range at various prices.

bill1451, Oct 25, 6:13pm
Ah good to see kiwi DIY is still alive and well but not everyone has these skills,
Hope you are using it on RCD

m16d, Oct 25, 6:36pm
Ha. no problem, I just wear my red band gumboots.

curlcrown, Sep 16, 12:11pm
Modern petrol mowers are easy to start. A 10 year old child can start one.