Don't buy cordless power tools with NiCd batteries

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 9, 10:58pm
I am an electronics technician and I want to give a bit of advice.

Unless you are buying for parts or are prepared to go to the expense of getting the battery repacked don't buy cordless power tools with NiCd batteries. Invariably they would lack charge capacity. Lithium battery powered tools are far superior.

vivac, Aug 9, 11:25pm
Thanks for the heads up, but you are about 8 years too late, most of the good brands use Lithium anyway and have done for quite a while.

underconstructy, Aug 9, 11:31pm
I can only assume this is the first time you have had Internet access in 10 years.

aredwood, Aug 9, 11:47pm
And even before Lithium ion batteries, there was Ni- MH batteries. Which alot of power tools used. Better than NiCd. But not as good as Lithium ion.

But Lithium ion batteries can get damaged if they get discharged too much. So the tool will have a low battery cutout in it. But if the tool only gets rarely used. The batteries can still discharge too much and get damaged.

So for tools that will only ever be occasionally used. Get mains powered ones. They can sit unused for as long as you want. Yet will be ready to use as soon as you plug them in. Far better than grabbing a battery tool only to find that the battery is stuffed.

pixma, Aug 10, 12:56am
I've mainly used a decent plug in drill for every thing, and a cheapo $30 NiCad cordless for rare occasions. Cordless broke, so I went and brought a cheapo Lithium for $70.

Whenever the thing nears flat now, it just stops for a few seconds with no warning. Damn pain.

pauldw, Aug 10, 1:12am
Most people forget that lithium batteries don't last forever because they replace their phones with new models. Problem hidden. In 3 or 4 years time will you be able to get batteries for your drill and at what cost?

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 10, 1:43am
I have been using the internet since 1961.

But seriously, I posted the message because they are still being sold on Trade Me, people are buying them, and then finding that they are no good. They are then getting resold on Trade Me.

I was not going to mention anything about auctions because of the message board rules.

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 10, 1:47am
As a technician who fixes power tools I am well aware of what is being sold. But it is the SECOND HAND sales that I am talking about.

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 10, 1:50am
Lithium battery chargers have generally got good charge management so jut put the device back on charge after use. They don't have the memory effect that NiCds have where if you charge them up before they are fully discharged they will no longer have good charge holding characteristics.

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 10, 1:56am
It is a good point but there is a common type of lithium cell used in many different types of battery packs and is relatively easy to obtain. Also, it may well be the case that third party manufacturers will make replacements.

johotech, Aug 10, 2:01am
Do you have a time machine?

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 10, 2:05am
Yes, Of course! Don't you? I thought everyone had one these days.

johotech, Aug 10, 2:25am
No I don't have one. They go out of date too quickly. I usually borrow a 2040 model from a "friend".

illusion_, Aug 10, 2:50am
To say nothing of having to replace the batteries all the time

tintop, Aug 10, 2:53am
Even in 1961 it was easy enough to time travel forwards a few years to the late 60's to be one of the first to use the ARPANET.

johotech, Aug 10, 2:59am
Nah, using NiCd's. They last for years in a time machine.

alan_at_ecotech, Aug 10, 3:20am
Batteries? They are so 21st century! I went and got quantum flux capacitors from the future.

lythande1, Aug 10, 3:48am
Hmmm, husband has 2 De Walt drills, he has had replacement batteries - Nimh and Nicad, neither lasted longer than the others, neither were worse or better than the others.
Currently has one of each.

marte, Aug 10, 12:24pm
I goit a car ciggy lighter plug off something, attached a long cable with two spade clips to it and attached the spadeclips to the terminals inside the battery drill.
Now I can run it off the ciggy socket in the car or attach it to a car battery.

Next step is to set up a old 300watt computer UPS power backup system to the car for 240 volt AC.

ryanm2, Oct 30, 12:58pm
I dont understand how this has any practical application. Why not just buy a pure sine wave inverter to charge your batteries and also solve your ups issue too.