Best cordless drill?

Page 3 / 3
ryanm2, Feb 3, 5:37am
My Makita lithium have been going strong for over 5 years - used every working day,

franken1, Feb 3, 6:14pm
18V with 25mm spadebit! Look Ma, no cords!

ryanm2, Feb 4, 3:24am
we do a lot of insurance work (fire and water damage) with existing rimu timbers - hard as hell. More than welcome to use your own drill on old rimu with spade bits. The windings will start cooking in no time.

trademerob, Feb 4, 3:58am
Yea For 5 min

taipan4, Feb 4, 6:12am
READ THAT AGAIN CORDED DRILL FOR THE PREWIRE Battery drill for the flush boxes, AND no I curse the fwits that drill a hole just big enough, same as I curse the fwits that leave 20mm of 1.0mm out of the ceiling for a batten holder, & 35mm of 2.5 for sockets ah wtf I'm over it

32oscar, Feb 6, 9:24am
cordless drills are multipurpose, you can use all the screwdriver bits aswell as drilling jobs, can't use a corded drill as a screwdriver, to much power

32oscar, Feb 6, 9:29am
I bought one of these after "cooking" mi old ni-cad batteries, was usingit today to build a vege garden, very impressed with the Li-ion batteries almost no fade in power until battery went flat, lasted for ages, there was also a "normal" b&d drill available for $189 but it only had 1 battery, so the extra $10 for a second battery was a good investment

caspar26, Feb 6, 9:25pm
I trust and only use makita 18v lithium battery tools

_peas, Feb 7, 5:55am
My 18v Makita cordless lost 3rd gear and then 2nd.It had given me 4 years pretty good service drilling holes, putting in screws and swinging hole saws up to 150mm (not recommended with a cordless).I have had one battery replaced under warranty of the two I own.These batteries are also used in my circ saw, jigsaw, sabre saw and torch.They are pretty good and while they have their limits they definitely can take some abuse.The drill would break your wrist before it lunched itself. can't help wear and tear though.

trademerob, Feb 7, 7:20am
So 25 years exp and at least 5 sets of tools mean nothing.Dont take up this trade RUSS.

russ18, Feb 7, 8:18am
So that's more like 5 years then!
All batteries have a life span usually given in number of discharge / recharges, working out an average based on your history doesn't make sense because 25 year old battery technology has nothing to do with how long todays batteries will last.

velenski, Feb 9, 8:58pm
rubbish my dewalt could do this all day and its fine :)

puppetman, Feb 16, 2:58am
Far out. Thanks for all this. I do periodacally use the drill every 500 metres for 2 km. Won't explain why. boring. but cordless is what I need for that so thought would just go cordless for all my needs. Saw a B&D for $99 on special the other day, but havne't been able to get into town. Thanks for all the thoughts. Cheers.

henderson_guy, Feb 16, 10:24pm
As somebody who used to retail power tools, I would recommend Hitachi for battery drills.look at something like the DV14DVF3 which is a 14.4volt light trade/ serious handyman drill. They (used to) quite often come up for around the $200 mark on special, also available in 12v and 18v variants. For electric tools, the Makita Weekender range has some pretty good tools at reasonable prices for the home handyman. DeWalt do have good tools, but their after sales support is severely lacking, so if buy any of their gear just hope it doesn'tneed repairs! Milwaukee I'm unsure of as it was only just coming in when I left, but it was proving pretty popular.

henderson_guy, Feb 16, 10:26pm
If it was the 1st gen Li-Ion 3spd hammer drill/driver, then the gearbox will be replaced under warranty, they were a known weak point.

lerg, Feb 17, 10:40am
I loves my old DeWalts (have three 18 volt ones) for things like drilling steel brackets while up a ladder - the cheapo drills simply did not have the grunt to do the job. Think it really depends on what you want to do (cheapos were/are fine for the odd hole here and there) but if any doubt go for the grunty ones. Oh and allways have a spare battery as you can bet otherwise the dear little sob will go flat before the job is finished.

dougie, May 24, 4:54pm
Mostly all lithium cordless drills have a switch that will cut out if tool is being overheated etc which saves the battery and motors from damage. Like an engine management system the switch controls the whole unit if it detects a problem which stops batteries from heat damage ect.