Replacement dishwasher

mlarkin, Mar 4, 11:55am
We may have to replace the dishwasher in our B&B (depending on serviceman's assessment). The present one is "no name" cheapie put in by the previous owner right on point of selling the place.
I have been looking online to see prices etc, but would like feedback on what is available and posters experience of various brands. I am looking in the $1000 to $1300 range. Capricorngirl

budgel, Mar 4, 11:57am
I am still using a Simpson bought around 20 years ago. it has had a couple of DIY repairs over the years. Solid and reliable, but I dont know what the new ones are like, that's the problem with recommendations. If you have a long serving appliance, how relevant is its performance to today's models?

mica3, Mar 4, 12:11pm
Ask the service person

pcle, Mar 4, 12:36pm
Bosch dishwashers get reasonable reviews from consumer.
https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=4409429

gollycolly, Mar 4, 12:44pm
Have had a Bosch dishwasher for over 22years. Only problem has been that recently the powder lid will not stay shut. Now I put a tablet in the cutlery basket and all is well.

dbest, Mar 4, 12:44pm
We bought a Beko dishwasher about 2 years ago. Its in the mid range price, not cheap but not expensive, comes with a 5 year replacement warranty. We've used it nearly every day twice a day. Its been working very well. Beko is relatively new brand in NZ but a good european brand I've heard.

Bosch is good from what i've heard from others. We'd have considered it but it was over our budget.

mrsvonflik, Mar 4, 2:13pm
I bought a Miele from their outlet shop.
Didn’t even have to leave home & for $80 they took the old cheap nasty mitre 10 dishwasher away.
Miele very quiet I love it

lythande1, Mar 4, 3:44pm
https://www.topreviews.co.nz/best-dishwashers-new-zealand/ https://www.canstarblue.co.nz/appliances/dishwashers/ https://www.consumer.org.nz/services/dishwashers/guide

For those without access to Consumer:

Dishwashers
Brand
Reliability

Miele (172)
92%

Simpson (93)
91%

Bosch (865)
91%

Haier (96)
90%

Westinghouse (167)
87%

Asko (135)
87%

Fisher & Paykel DishDrawer (592)
86%

LG (121)
85%

Fisher & Paykel (340)
78%

Smeg (68)
77%

mlarkin, Mar 4, 5:07pm
Many thanks for your feedback - first of all will ask serviceman. Leaning towards Bosch or miel at present - didn't realise Miele have an outlet shop (will investigate as it is only 5 mins from home) Capricorngirl

pasadena1, Mar 4, 7:11pm
Always check the sound insulation as well as the other specs - no point buying a slightly cheaper model if you'll hear it running right through the house!

blueviking, Mar 4, 7:15pm
Will always go with dishdrawer. No spillage on the floor.My last 1 lasted 20 odd yrs.I work somedays at a retirement village and when they refurbish a unit, they put new single dishdrawers in.

mlarkin, Mar 5, 12:43pm
I have a double dish drawer at home 10 years old - no probs, just thought single bosch or similar more suitable for B&B, neighbour has been over and rebooted the machine and so far it is now running properly again. Hubbie will be there from 12th and will reassess at that time as to whether a new machine is required It has to be a simply operated one as not everyone staying there is used to having a dishwasher. Quite often as now it is a gang of contractors (men) not fully "house trained" Thanks again for the feedback. Capricorngirl

tonijo, Mar 6, 7:18pm
Spillage? I have never noticed spillage on the floor with a standard dishwasher. We have a Bosch which we chose because it's extremely quiet which we need for our small house with wooden floors where sounds seems to travel. Very happy with it.

stylus1, Mar 6, 7:55pm
why not buy a second hand one from your appliance repairer? They all wash dishes after a fashion.

lilyfield, Mar 6, 8:11pm
So does a basin and rubbergloves.cheaper than chips

pamow69, Mar 6, 8:32pm
Exactly.

rua69, Mar 7, 12:57pm
Handwashing preserves finishes and small amounts of dishes can be done at any time.

tegretol, Mar 8, 11:34pm
And inherit someone elses worn out old crap? A new Bosch can be got in the sales and with some hard bargaining for <$1k.

mlarkin, Aug 12, 3:48pm
Two points - with the rent being charged it is expected that a dishwasher is there. As we live in another town, it is false economy to buy a second-hand appliance of any kind for our B&B. Anyway hubbie has arrived there today to do some maintenance, before next guests arrive on 22nd, and he will assess whether a new one is required. Capricorngirl