Wind noise reduction - window replacement

vwork, Dec 12, 9:56pm
Hi, 1970's house here in windy Welly. The reason I feel I need a new window above my bed (aluminium - 57cm high, 167cm long with one opening pane) is because of extreme whistling in the high northerly wind. It's quite east facing too so gets heaps morning sun, and I got the seals replaced and hasn't fixed the issue. If I open it the whistling lessens but is still annoying to me, as wind sucks blind up and down the wall & noise! I'm not sure whether to bother getting a tradie to drill out and replace the hinge/stay things (silver), as prob won't fix it totally?
SO - I read about UPVC, and tilt windows. My only priority is noise reduction so what should I be looking for as the best for this. Currently there is a roman blind covering, and I would be interested in insect screen (is that an option) but the overriding issue is noise.
On the sheltered South and West is a huge ranch slider with 2 windows too but am not feeling there is any noise coming from that side of the room. Thank you for advice of what to start looking at. Recommended companies in Wellington welcome too please.

annies3, Dec 12, 11:45pm
If it is not double glazed I would go for a whole new window which is double glazed, and if correctly fitted should not whistle.

nzjay, Dec 13, 12:41am
The seals can't be good if "the wind sucks blind up and down".
Something is not right and should be fixable. The rubber seals should not have any gap at the corners.

gwimweeper, Dec 13, 1:54am
Earlier this year I had several companies quote to replace a large window with a double-glazed aluminium window.

The company I went with was High Performance Windows.

I was very happy with them.

I would contact them. I expect they will visit, discuss with you the options to fix the noise problem and give you a quote for free.

vwork, Dec 13, 2:13am
Sorry that happens when I open the window to stop the whistling - which was not improved enough by the new seals.

vwork, Dec 13, 2:14am
Great!

vwork, Dec 13, 2:14am
Thank you - will check them out.

zak410, Dec 13, 4:11am
Are you sure the latch is pulling the window hard enough against the seals?
If not do the noise reduce if you pull the window tightly shut?

nzmax, Dec 13, 9:20am
Was thinking along the same lines also. Another thought. do the stays near the top that hold the sash to the frame need lubricating, its possible that they are now tight from age and dirt buildup that they are not letting the window seal hard against the seals when closed. I had one whistling window in my 20 year old house that this fixed. Upon saying that, the aluminium windows fitted to my granddads house that he had built in the 70's whistled from the day they were new. My sister owns the house now and the same windows still do it.

golfdiver, Dec 14, 6:46am
As a quick fix, try visiting a roofing manufacturer and ask for a couple of metres of lap seal tape. This is adhesive on one side and compressible foam on the other. Put it inside the opening frame and see what happens

vwork, Dec 14, 10:09pm
It does not no. So yes the latch seems firm.

vwork, Dec 14, 10:12pm
Is that different to your average foam tape (which I was advised not to use as sticks like glue after a bit!). Would have thought the brand new seals should do similar job? A fat tape may make the window jut out more - could be worse even?!

nukhelenc, Dec 15, 9:52am
Well just buy a new window then, even tho new sash stays may fix it.
Maybe a new window with no opening in it, since ya in a windy hell hole.
Ask if the new window has blow-back for the external drain holes.
Tell them ya live in a windy hell hole and if the new window makes any sound you will be unhappy to say the least. Covers ya ass in that respect

nukhelenc, Dec 15, 9:56am
Im keen to see photos of ya old junker

vwork, Dec 16, 2:23am
You have a point re opening abilities -kind of pointless when have 2 other windows and a giant sliding door in the room on the other aspect.

briantamaki-god, Dec 16, 1:01pm
if it has always whistled it might be the drainage holes not staggered and the wind just goes straight through if that's the case block holes and see if that makes a difference then block 2 and stagger 2
is the sach frame in the bottom corners line up with the exterior frame or can you see daylight/gap it might just need reglazing and squaring up I did a lot of that after the quakes in chch

lissie, Dec 18, 10:36am
We are in a special engineering wind zone in Wellington- it gets very windy even by local standards. We had 1970s single glazed windows replaced with upvc windows from Thermalframe in Lower Hutt.

The bedroom went from very noisy on even an average wind - to incredibly quiet - its a fairly small room with a N facing sliding door and a W facing large window with an opening casement.

We actually replaced the windows because the frames were corroded thru (we are near the sea) - but the amount of noise reduction is unbelievable.

IF you have other windows that open - and this one is presumably a high window above the bed - maybe just replace with a fixed pane?

I considered the European style tilt and turn windows too - but a) they are expensive and b) they won't work with roman blinds (or roller blinds that we have) - because they open from the top. The Europeans use external shutters - so they are of limited use here. We went with a casement which opens against the prevailing wind - the windows can be left slightly open but locked for ventilation - and no wind whistle even in that position.

Thermalframe is in Alicetown - go and have a look at their show room and talk to them - they know their product.

Also it was cheaper than anything even vaguely equivalent in Aluminium - if you are getting aluminium quotes check the gap between panes

pandai, Dec 18, 9:11pm
+1, I have a relatively new aluminium double glazed widow here that whistles a bit through the drainage hole

vwork, Jul 1, 9:00am
lissie wrote:
We are in a special engineering wind zone in Wellington- it gets very windy even by local standards. We had 1970s single glazed windows replaced with upvc windows from Thermalframe in Lower Hutt.

thanks for this! Have heard they are good too.