Window discussion.

bella-boo, Mar 13, 5:56am
Hi there, I have several windows in my house that need replacing, so, do I get quotes to replace just the 5 that NEED it, or do I look at replacing them all, 12 in total and two french doors, plus a front and back door at a push.

Currently all wooden windows from around 1900 - the broken ones are pretty broken.Thinking if they all get changed - aluminium!If only the worst ones, demo company wooden ones!

Ideas appreciated.Thanks.

reggienz, Mar 13, 7:01pm
Aluminium windows in an old character house is a no no. Go for original looking wooden ones.

shanreagh, Mar 13, 7:49pm
Why not start a programme of replacing the wooden ones with double glazed wooden ones.Sometimes you can use the existing joinery and put double glazing in and that is cheaper, obviously, than having to get new joinery plus double glazing.Ask around and you will find a glazier/joiner that does do this type of work.Don't go to any of the nationwide glaziers as, from my experience, they will try to sell you an aluminium system and because they work in aluminum usually their wood working skills for double glazed wood windows are often not up to scratch. Double glazing is beneficial for heating and resale reasons.

bella-boo, Mar 14, 7:26am
I agree, I guess I will just have to be patient to find the right sizes.

bella-boo, Mar 14, 7:28am
Thanks, a good idea.There is a local guy I've been told about that is great with wooden windows.I'll have to look him up.-No resale value, as it is very unlikely to be sold - more, kept in the family.

lythande1, Mar 14, 7:04pm
When you get the quote you may be shocked into just doing them a few at a time.
I agree, don't ruin the character of the house with aluminum.

timberman, Mar 15, 8:17am
Aluminium will NOT ruin the character of your house if done correctly
Aluminium is more secure when left open a little.
Draught proof when shut
Almost no maintenance
Add the cost of painting overseveral years & wood Is Expensive.
WHY would you want wood!

jenny188, Apr 20, 10:09pm
Aluminum replica are a possible option. Also some companys' make original sash style windows still. Or demolition or second hand ones , but these often need stripping and servicing, so might not be the cheapest, start to finish option. Final decision is yours. Does your local council insist on double glazing on renovations!