Replacement lights for Range Hood - Help

kcc55a, Nov 14, 9:13pm
I have a Tisira Range Hood which I need to replace the halogen light bulbs
but I need to know if these are are 12vor 240v. The instruction manual only mentions the wattage which is 20w.The unit is a 230v power so I am presuming the lights are the same but my local store only has 12v ones. so wondered if anybody can confirm my thoughts. It seems unlikely the unit would have a transformer just to run the lights if the fanis 230v but happy to be advised. otherwise.

chris.kingston, Nov 14, 9:23pm
pretty sure they will be 12v. what model number for the range hood!

kcc55a, Nov 14, 9:30pm
Thanks its a TRH 9CU.Have just found an electrical diagram that indicates there is a 12v transformer for the lights

chris.kingston, Nov 14, 9:34pm
Yes, confirmed 12v halogen. When replacing do not touch the bulb with bare hands as this will shorten its life.

kcc55a, Nov 14, 9:36pm
Thanks - I know about the fingers on bulbs. Cheers, appreciate the help

kcc55a, Nov 14, 9:38pm
Incidentally the guy in the store wanted to sell me 240v ones but didnt have any in stock.

budgel, Nov 15, 10:07pm
Why couldnt you take an old one out and take it to him!

kcc55a, Nov 16, 1:54am
Of course I did that! Its thelogical thing to do, but there are no markings on it whatsoever andthere are 4 different versions of the same bulb with different voltage and wattage

budgel, Nov 16, 6:12am
Oh sorry, I didnt know that, I thought the pins were different between the 12V and
220V~ ones.

mark_g, Nov 16, 6:18am
Funny though. even the cheapest crappiest units usually have the type code stamped on them somewhere. Granted you have to hold it in the right light and use a magnifying glass to read it.

Stupid me got talked into buying a cheap 5 pack from Mega recently to replace a blown range hood unit. Each unit lasted 12-24 hrs. Began to think I had a wiring issue, but no. I then Spent a bit more money on a reasonable quality unit and it's been going for a month now.

captaingraham, Nov 16, 6:39am
The pins are different.

supernova2, Nov 16, 8:47am
Take em back.Not fit for purpose and all that.Request refund.

kcc55a, Nov 16, 9:33pm
Nope not these. I have a jewelers magnifier and cant see anything stamped on them at all.

I bought some Marexim Heavy Duty G4s from M10 which I am toldhave a warranty. Same price as others which doesnt have a warranty so we will see how they perform.
Incidentally the 240v ones seemed to have the same type of pins.

ryanm2, Nov 5, 6:09am
some are not. Those G4's share pin width size (possibly the depth is different). Im a sparky too and stuck a pair of 12v ones in a 230v security fitting. The lamps lasted all of 1 millisecond. Back to the wholesaler with the correct ones.