Spouting/guttering replacement New Plymouth?

hezwez, Aug 3, 3:35am
Can anyone recommend a tradesperson and give an approx cost per lineal metre? Also what is the best option for the spouting? And are those leaf grates or whatever useful in preventing build up of mulch? TIA

hezwez, Aug 3, 8:01am
Bump for information please. and can anyone suggest which spouting profile they
prefer, and why? Thanks

golfdiver, Aug 3, 7:47pm
If you have a standard house then a continuous type gutter roll formed on site is the way to go. Profile is up to you but I like the quarter round style. You can have internal or external brackets. External make it easier to clean out but internal are stronger. I wouldn't touch any of the rivet on mesh systems. You lose the warranty on the roof and some muck still gets through but is impossible to get out. The best product is gutter foam. Don't touch the bottle brush options either.

hezwez, Aug 3, 9:18pm
Thanks golfdiver, that's valuable info. is there a brand of spouting (eg Marley) you'd favour over others?
Edited to add: have to go out, will check in later.

golfdiver, Aug 4, 1:50am
No I'm not a fan of Marley. I guess it is OK on a bach on the coast but it looks cheap and is fairly easily damaged. The continuous varieties are pre coloured steel. The ones made from Zam seem to be lasting well.

hezwez, Aug 4, 2:22am
Thanks, how long have Zam been on the market?

golfdiver, Aug 4, 2:38am
ZAM is a metal very similar to zincalume and it comes out of Japan. It contains magnesium and seems much better than zincalume for gutters. I wouldn't use it for a roof but in a gutter situation it seems pretty good. Its been around for about 17 years

hezwez, Aug 4, 3:07am
Thanks, in seventeen years any potential probs should be showing up. I don't suppose (while I'm sitting down) you could guesstimate how much including labour it costs per lineal metre?

annies3, Aug 4, 3:18am
We had continuous spouting done here and also at a previous home it is a wonderful system you will have a choice of profiles, once on the job the old spouting is removed and the new put up very quickly, as for cost I can't remember what it actually was, but that it was a pleasant surprise and compares well with the plastic rubbish.

golfdiver, Aug 4, 3:39am
I think most guys will put it up for around $26 per lineal metre plus GST. That allows for single story where they don't need to erect a scaffold. On ZAM, I nailed a piece to a post under a wharf where it got wet with every high tide. After a year there was minimal corrosion. Pretty impressive I thought.

hezwez, Aug 4, 4:09am
Amazing

hezwez, Aug 26, 4:47am
Hi golfdiver just getting back. the three quotes we have range between $49 and $65 per lineal metre, including GST. PVC is a bit dearer. Maybe it's more expensive in the provinces.

hezwez, Aug 26, 8:40am
Bump hopefully for golfdiver. also we've been told we have insufficient downpipes and need to dig a soakhole. we're way past that, in retirement, who to call? Do spouting installers do that sort of thing too?

digmen1, Aug 26, 7:11pm
I got a quote for $650 to dig a new soak hole and install an extra downpipe to my PVC guttering (with a fascia)

golfdiver, Aug 26, 8:43pm
That rate sounds exorbitant to me. Unless it is a pretty small job? A drain layer will dig a soak hole for you. The depth will vary as they need to get to alluvial soakage levels. My neighbour does them for around $300 per hole
I'm meeting my gutter installer on site in a few minutes and will discuss rates with him

hezwez, Aug 26, 10:06pm
Thanks mate. It's 74 lineal meters. Needs to be done and I'm having to make decisions I would never have had to in the past, with my husband elderly and unwell.

golfdiver, Aug 26, 10:48pm
If it single storey then you shouldn't expect to pay more than $30 per metre including GST . The prices you have mentioned seem bizarre. Are you in town or miles out in the country? I'm assuming the down pipes are not included in the gutter rate ?

fordcrzy, Aug 27, 5:09am
go around the new sub divisions and see whos doing spouting for companies like signature and classic builders/golden homes. they can whip up spouting in a day,,,ok maybe two if they have to pull down yours. be aware though that it may be more expensive than you think due to all the new working at heights requirements

hezwez, Aug 27, 6:29am
Thanks for both above posts. No it's single story and the downpipes aren't included in the price, and we're in town. I'm going to try and get one more quote. I think part of the problem is that there are far fewer tradies than there used to be, and they simply don't need that work, so there's no price competition.

annies3, Aug 27, 6:47am
Have you rung continuous spouting and got a quote from them ?

hezwez, Aug 27, 8:03am
Yes Annie one of the quotes was from someone providing continuous spouting.

golfdiver, Aug 27, 8:04am
I showed this post to my guy, and he started to work out if it was worth him driving across the country to do it. Probably would at the money you are being quoted . Generally the group builders use sectional rather than continuous but it shouldn't matter

hezwez, Oct 17, 10:51pm
I'll get another quote first and see how it pans out. :-)