Neighbours swimming pool pump/filter noise ongoing

Page 1 / 2
judz46, Jun 26, 12:48pm
We have a inground para pool which has the pump on for 6 hours when the chlorine goes in weekly - it automatically comes on for 5 mins twice a day and that's enough to keep it clean.

wendalls, Jun 26, 1:04pm
We ran ours during the day to move the water during high usage periods and to slow down growth of contaminants whilst the sun warmed it as is usually advised. The use of appropriate chemical "sunscreen" stops sunlight breaking down chlorine. It may run at night due to power cuts having upset the timer. Very likely scenario in my opinion. Sneak over and alter it and they won't even notice.

gwimweeper, Jun 26, 7:14pm
Many local councils have bylaws about noise.

If approaching your neighbour fails I would contact your council.

If they do have such a bylaw they will probably send out an officer to measure the noise at your boundary.

trade4us2, Jun 27, 10:05pm
So many people make noise at night around here that I have covered my bedroom window with triple-wall plastic roofing (that somebody threw out).

piquant, Jun 28, 10:39am
For goodness sake - it must be costing them a fortune to run - and at a time when it is not being used. Many years ago now I had a para pool. Over winter, I placed polystyrene blocks on the surface and then covered with a black polythene cover. It wasn't expensive but it was very effective. In the early summer I would undo it all and pack the blocks away, shock treat the water once and filter (probably a couple of hours every few days - I really can't remember) and use the black plastic cover to cover the pool to get a bit of solar heating. Why does everything have to be so complicated these days?

jangal1, Jun 28, 10:55am
Hubby says chuck a tube of that expanding foamy stuff into the pool near the intake and with any luck the pump will get a dose of it and go very quiet. That is what the stuff is made for isn't it?

gsimpson, Jun 29, 6:20am
Suggest a timer so it doesn't operate in the small hours. It will cool a little but if it kicks in after you have gone to work then problem solved unless they have an early morning dip.

clementine4, Oct 19, 5:34pm
Anyone with knowledge of what I can do to get the neighbour to quieten their swimming pool pump/filter. The garden shed with the pump in is right on the boundary near the house and the constant drone is so frustrating. anyone know why and what to do about it please? Thanks.

docsportello, Oct 19, 5:43pm
Get them to seat it on some foam pads. And if they arent the chatty type, earplugs is the alternative.

aprilguy, Oct 19, 7:00pm
Offer to help pay for soundproofing on their side and prepare to build a thick barrier on your side, if you can.

jia5, Oct 19, 7:09pm
Have you talked to them about it? Perhaps the pump could be on at a time that suits you. If you were my neighbour I would rather you talked to us and we worked out the best solution.
Actually you might be my neighbour, haha.
Our runs during the day so hopefully not annoying anyone.

clementine4, Oct 19, 7:36pm
How long does a pump need to go on for? I am assuming the pump is used to drive the filter? I would like to get as much info as possible before I talk to them.

clementine4, Oct 19, 7:36pm
What do you you suggest to build then?

clementine4, Oct 19, 7:37pm
Ear plugs. Yeah right.

supernova2, Oct 19, 8:05pm
There are lots of products that could be used to soundproof the shed. Here's some options: http://www.autexindustries.com/acoustics/

Go and have a chat with the neighbours and see if you can sort out some sort of agreement. As its probably not making enough noise to breach any noise control rules you might have to offer to pay for fixing the problem.

jia5, Oct 19, 8:30pm
Depends on the size of the pool. I run ours, 35000 litres for 12 hours a day, less in winter.

gwimweeper, Oct 19, 11:04pm
Also talk to your loca;l council.

Many have regulations governing noise levels and if they do will probably send someone to do a decibel reading.

tiny15, Oct 19, 11:36pm
x1
The actual garden shed could be magnifying the noise of the pump- especially if its one of the cheap crappy ones where the panels vibrate on the steel frame.

lythande1, Oct 20, 7:40am
I have a neighbours pump right by our bedroom. I hear it but it's not bad. Except when it gets clogged up with leaves and stuff, then it sounds awful. They're normally oblivious, so I go tell them.

harrislucinda, Oct 20, 8:52am
dont know why it has to run at night ? we have a 20,000 lts pool i always turn off at night and i have a spa on porch right at the lounge windows i turn that off at night as well never had any problems been doing it for years
Dont hear pump thru the day

woody89, Oct 20, 9:51am
Seems like a long time to me. Our pool is larger & is run for max 6 hours.
To someone else who queried night time running. If it is a salt water pool, generating it's own chlorine, night time can be preferable as sunlight breaks down chlorine so may hinder concentration reaching high enough levels- sunscreen can & should be added & if the salt cell is large enough for the volume it should be able to cope but sometimes people do run filter at night.

OP, could try talking to neighbours about running at different times or covering the filter box with a sound proof product. I know there are products (sort of like household insulation) as friends once had to cover their own household water pump, it made a huge difference.

junie2, Oct 20, 1:10pm
x1
There has been a recent similar situation in Chch, which attracted publicity for the "sufferers" but council found the noise didn't exceed acceptable levels. However, there was a solution I believe - maybe check Press online for details.

lazkaz, Oct 20, 2:48pm
Yes it was solved, the owners turned the spa off. They are loud, my boss had one and it even annoyed him. Plus the pump in the indoor swimming pool was loud as well. There is so much noise in the world, loud cars, music, yesterday was briefly in the Colombo to collect mail and had considered having a cuppa but the loud noise and music drove me out. So went and sat in quieter mall while waiting to put mum up from the hospital.

lazkaz, Oct 20, 2:49pm
'pick' mum up from the hospital.

clementine4, Oct 20, 4:13pm
That sounds like a good idea. The covering of the filter box with a sound proof product. Where would I start to get info on it. I would like to take a solution to them. Rather go with solutions.