Pool owners

wendalls, Mar 30, 7:01am
how often have you been topping up yr pool in the hot weather! assuming you have no cover. we often have water visible under a deck some distance from the pool and im wondering if it could be a leak.have just bought our 4th load of water as we are on tank supply. had to put in about 3000litres straight to the pool today. was assumig it was all evaporation previously.

harrislucinda, Mar 30, 9:07am
nosoundslikealeakwehave a16,000to 20,000ltrpoolhavenottouchedupevenwhenvacumingtoclean

wendalls, Mar 31, 3:40am
Ok ours is 60000 so would have a greater surface area plus 5 kids and a large man at times jumping in and splashing it all out. Has needed weekly top ups tho. Will get a cover I think and go from there.

doug57, Mar 31, 7:57am
Ours is similar size to yours and we've had to top ours up several times also. Crossed our minds about a leak too, but it's just been SO hot, pretty sure with the splashing and evaporation it's just normal.

omamari, Mar 31, 6:20pm
With this weather your pool is probably losing 5 to 6mm a day with evaporation. I'll make a couple of assumptions here. Your pool is 60,000 litres if it has an average depth of 1.20m then it's surface area is 50 sqm. Therefore at 6mm a day in evaporation your pool is losing 50 x .006 cub m/ day that is .3 cub me or 300 litres of water. In ten days you will have lost 3000 litres. Water under your deck is another matter. If your pool had a leak I don't think you would see surface water in these dry conditions. Does the pipework for your pump go anywhere near the surface water, you may have a leak in your plumbing. Cheers

woody89, Mar 31, 7:14pm
Easy way to check for evaporation is to put a container in weighed with rock or whatever & filled with water to the same level as the pool, we're able to set a bucket up on the steps.If the inside & outside water levels remain the same then = evap. If the outside falls faster then you have a leak. With water being seen elsewhere I'd be suspicious. Also check the waste pipe from the filter in case the top valve is faulty & water is going to waste when the filter is running.

guest, May 31, 4:41pm
Good..glad you are thinking of epiooratavn. If the outdoor temperature is great enough to be warmer than your pool you can evaporate off as much as 0.5 to 1.5 inches of water depending on your wind level and humidity.Now head over to your kitchen and turn on the stove and put about 1.5 inches of water in a pot. Watch how much energy you burn to boiler off that water..and now multiply the energy you used to boil the water in the pot times the area of your pool. The answer will be a big number! So having the cover on will always be your better choice.Regarding running the solar panel..only concern is to not run the pump through it at night..you will cool your pool instead of heating it. Also you may set up a thermal syphon depending on how you piped it. If you got a valve to shut it off at night all the better.Happy warm pool.

guest, May 22, 8:43am
PyUdMx pibdnfkzltig