Spa pool pump has become REALLY noisy.

chakendrick, Dec 29, 10:27pm
Daughter was told if you replace the bearings you might as well replace the heater as they are one unit? Does this sound correct? Any idea roughly what this should cost and where is best place to get repairs done.

hunta7, Dec 30, 9:18am
Yes sounds about right was the same thing i was told and had done quite a costly task if i remember correctly.

ira78, Dec 30, 8:23pm
Depends, many have the pump, motor and heater in a single unit, Some have the heater and controller in a single unit, the pump and motor separate is more common. Pump, motor, heater and controller all completely separate is less common, but not unusual.

Hard to tell without looking at it, or at least a model number or similar. Who told her? If it IS the bearings I wouldn't think they should be too hard to replace. But the heaters do tend to be a wear item also, so probably worth doing at the same time.

chakendrick, Dec 30, 9:00pm
Thank you for answers. ira78 the motor is a Waterco Portapac Elite.

ira78, Dec 31, 3:46am
Ok, have a look here: http://www.pumpland.co.nz/shop/waterco-portapac-electronic-deamand-elite/225-portapac-.html

You need to know what you're needing though. If you actually need to replace the motor bearings you're going to probably need to take it to someone. But you can probably buy all the other parts separately on the above site. (I'm not confident I have the right one though)

tsjcf, Dec 31, 8:17am
No it's not normal to change the heater element when doing motor bearings.Talk to your local electrician see if he will change the bearings/seal and check the element.

chakendrick, Dec 31, 12:22pm
What can you check the element for? It is heating. I thought (naively) that elements either worked or did not work.

tsjcf, Dec 31, 6:02pm
Normally a visual check for corroision/tracking and then a insulation test.

elect70, Jun 23, 10:08pm
Just take it out & take it to repairer . They have electronics in the motor cover box you dont want to damage . labour will be biggest cost bearings are only around $20 each