Which Heat Pump?

daze7, Sep 9, 10:17am
I'm looking at heat pumps - how confusing. Getting quotes. One guy says commercial unit 8 kw.

The house is a villa which has been opened up - so open plan kitchen, dining and lounge - approx. 9 m x 5 m and nearly 3 metre height.

I wondered if 2 smaller units would be Ok? What do you all think? Look forward to your comments.

lissie, Sep 9, 8:45pm
Have you got insulation? A ceiling fan with that high stud? We added both and our rather crappy under powered HP now works a treat. Far too many variables to get a sensible answer on a forum.

paix1, Sep 10, 12:48pm
I have just had new ceiling insulation installed (the first & most important step as current insulation was stuffed) then had a new Daikin floor mounted radiant front panel heatpump installed (it's the latest in NZ) I am SO happy with it. I only have small house so a 6 kw was fine here. Suggest you get quotes from say the top 3 dealers & make sure they are accredited installers - they need to know what they're doing! Hope this helps!

daze7, Sep 14, 8:08am
Thanks for your replies. I am getting quotes in now - quite a difference in price so far.

biggles45, Sep 14, 9:37am
9kw floor mounted heats our lounge dining kitchen really well (better than the woodburner) - probably slightly bigger than your floor area. Villa, high stud in Southland. You do need to go by what the "experts" say though, every house is different and they will work out the size needed and best placement to heat your specific rooms adequately and cost effectively.

bobwyn, Sep 14, 10:16am
3 years ago we put in a Mitsubishi hypercore 6kw and put one in the granny flat as well even in -4 frost pumps out great heat suppose to still pump out 6kw of heat at -15 the new ones have Bluetooth so you can put an app on your smart phone to control them.

thisles5, Sep 16, 7:47am
we are all getting soft , aint we?

gpg58, Sep 16, 8:15am
and same brand ideally so either remote works either system.

almost all homes need 2 or more, if you want the whole house warm in my(trade) opinion.

tintop, Sep 29, 4:14am
Consumer.org.nz has a pretty good run down on heat pumps.
You can buy the report or become a short term member for a few dollars.

Chicken feed compared to getting things wrong.