Victa lawnmower needs new blades ,how to hold

Page 1 / 2
mowerman99, Oct 10, 12:26pm
Saw this today.
I use a Victa 560 with a 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton engine which has an automatic choke.
I would have turned the mower onto its side to clean underside, check blades or replace a broken belt literally thousands of times over the years.
Firstly the mower is run or has been running to shut off the automatic choke before stopping and turning the mower onto its side, carburetor up. I have a precut block to lock the disc then use a hex socket to remove the bolt without rounding the edges. If the blades are to be removed or sharpened put the mower back down. I can change a belt in under a minute on the job then leave the mower for 2-3 minutes before starting.
No need to leave it for half a day unless you are using grease for an engine lubricant 😅😅😅.

xs1100, Oct 14, 6:51pm
plug lead off block of wood to prevent turning

wind.turbine, Oct 14, 7:23pm
pull lead off plug for starters, don't want an accidental fire while you are turning it. always tip away from air filter esp important when its a 4 stroke, been there done that, had a air filter full of oil.
Jam a block of wood in to stop it turning, has always worked perfect for me, it will eventually grab into something to stop it turning

mowerman99, Oct 14, 7:42pm
Air filter full of petrol?
Can't see how oil would get there.

mowerman99, Dec 7, 1:14pm
Just changed the belt on the job. Block in, blade off, new belt on and blade tickled up. All done in 1 minute.
Now shall I let it sit for 4-5 hours?
Yeah, nah. just saying😅👍🙂

marte, Dec 7, 3:05pm
I think they use crankcase pressure to push the diaphragm that pushes the petrol in the carby.
Somehow oil gets thru the system & into the carby if you tip it over the wrong way. Normally for me it just gets really good compression & really smokey once it starts, but it blows that out in less than a minute.

toyboy3, Jan 16, 1:09pm
The disc while I undo the centre crank shaft nut ?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1246706586.jpg

seadubya, Jan 16, 1:13pm
I don't know if it is the correct way, but for me it is; remove sparkplug, insert 100x100 post into chute to block blade from spinning, undo nut with long bar.
Edited: Now I see photo, the individual blades come off and is a cheaper way to replace. BUT it means getting off all 4 rusted nuts instead of just the middle one.

jmma, Jan 16, 2:24pm
Remove spark plug and thread some rope down the hole, this will jam piston without doing damage :o)

toyboy3, Jan 16, 2:59pm
I noticed there are two big blades and two small blades should I be replacing the small ones as well ? Or just the big ones ?

wasgonna, Jan 16, 3:01pm
Get some penetrating oil on those nuts. Makes life much easier.

I just used to jam with lump of wood on my old Victa but your blades fold flat unlike mine that still had an overhang on disc when blade folded in which was good for jamming. Large multi-grip on disc held by foot while tackling centre nut . . . maybe.

wasgonna, Jan 16, 3:07pm
This website sells everything but more importantly a lot of parts for Victas that might be hard to get.

https://sesdirect.co.nz/collections/walk-behind-mower-parts-victa

jmma, Jan 16, 3:13pm
They all should be big ones, someone has only replaced 2 with short ones at some stage. They will come in a set of 4 :o)

alleycatz, Jan 16, 3:26pm
check to make sure you "undoing " it the right way as may be anti clockwise

mouse265, Jan 16, 4:32pm
if you are wanting to replace the blades just grind the bolt heads off and replace them as well as the blades and reach through the chute to tighten up the nuts after

gsimpson, Jan 16, 6:29pm
You may be able to replace the blades without removing the disc.

pettal, Jan 16, 9:00pm
impact socket

gpg58, Jan 16, 10:43pm
Was my first thought too, anyone know for sure?

Ok i just Watched a few youtube items, seems a standard thread, this guy jams a wooden spoon into it to undo nut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEKUlRwxmdo another idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRid-6tTz18

budgel, Jan 17, 9:49am
I took my disc off the other day to sharpen my blades. Mine is locked to the shaft by a cross shaped washer, so cant spin on the shaft.
If your mower is a fourstroke, make sure the carburettor is facing up when you turn it on its side.
I got a socket (12mm if I recall correctly) and just held the disc with my left hand, and after a bit of pressure on the ratchet it came undone. In the past it was tighter and I locked a pair of vice grips onto the disc next to a blade and then jammed a piece of timber between that and the exit chute.

elect70, Jan 17, 10:30pm
thats the way its supposed to be done using the big centre nut to hold it done my masport several times crappy things on;ly last couple years . single blade is much better just sharpen it up with angle grinde

jmma, Jan 18, 10:50am
2 stroke :oP

2sheddies, Jan 19, 1:08pm
No sump on a Victa 2 stroke there champ.

jmma, Jan 20, 1:01pm
Us experts can tell by looking at it :oP

2sheddies, Jan 20, 1:25pm
Haha, too right mate. What a great engine too. We thrashed and thrashed one on a lawnmowing run years ago, the thing just kept going. I can only ever remember having one very minor carb issue, aside from that it was almost disgustingly reliable lol. Victa made a beautiful 2 stroke. As did Suzuki, my other favourite.

uppie270, Sep 5, 3:11am
My Victa mustang (4 stroke) still going strong after 25 nearly 26 years. Wheels and body may die before the engine does!