Mulcher on lawnmower

wendalls, Oct 26, 8:09am
Hi. Do people use theirs! Wouldnt it blunt the blades quickly!

steptoe72, Oct 27, 5:04am
They chew the grass, not cut it and dont stop once you start or you will have rings all over your lawn.

40wav, Oct 27, 8:12am
Mulching blades are still a blade. How exactly do they 'chew' the grass, rather than cut!
Mulching blades cut, then circulate the clippings, cutting again, then feed it all back down into the lawn as feed.

robybob, Oct 27, 8:32am
Ours works well but only if the grass isn't too long.

christin, Oct 27, 9:29am
ditto,. or too wet.

My plan was to use the mulcher all the time, but with working weekdays and only getting weekends to mow (and most of those raining) that theory went out the window.

Interesting enough the mulcher on my environmower was better than my massport one though.Handled longer grass and seemed to spread it easier.

gardie, Oct 27, 4:38pm
Our old mower mulched and I loved it.What a timesaver.Now, I try to keep the lawn short and life the flap on the back so that the clippings are thrown out the back far and wide to save catching.Need to catch if it gets a little longer though - I like my finished lawn to look good.

pauldw, Oct 27, 5:29pm
Wendalls may be referring to a mower with a mulch tube on the body that you feed small branches into.

valleygirl16, Oct 27, 10:49pm
Ive got a mulching lawnmower.its 12yrs old and i love it.Clean it after every use so it will last.
All i do is put in a plastic bit where the catcher goes and somehow it double cuts the lawn clippings so when they come out the bottom you hardly notice them. Have to say ive got to mow often so it doesnt get untidy but not having to empty the catcher makes it an easy job. Sometimes in winter/spring i use the catcher but summer i always mulch.
Its a Masport Rotary mower, model 400/4 combo

wendalls, Oct 28, 8:27am
Yeah i was actually. although it is interesting to see what people say about the grass mulching. doesnt it just get walked through the house if you have kids! Even with a weekly mow its still long.

nick2707, Oct 28, 9:43am
Depends on what grass you have; you'll excuse my spelling here i hope; but never mulch Kaikohi grass ( Beach Grass ) it grows back twice as quick and thick and you'll never get it back down - rye grass okay.

lythande1, Oct 28, 7:09pm
No cause we use the grass for compost. We do use the chipper on ours though.

wendalls, Oct 29, 9:56pm
We have too much grass for the compost. i need to sort out the bins though. We bought the place with them full up. I need to somehow dig out whats at the bottom and start again. i must try the chipper then. perhaps need to read mower manual!